T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I鈥檓 sure there are advantages and disadvantages to both and just curious about maybe getting illustrator also ? Any suggestions that may help me in making a decision will be appreciated 馃憤
Thanks,
Gary

Registered
When i started new in 2015 with vinyl and now getting into T-shirts . For Software , I had no prior experience ( ZERO,NONE ) so it was an open world for me to try both Ai and Corel......I tried Corel and didn't like it ( For me). Felt it was too difficult to learn etc. Checked out Ai and it was a piece of cake. Its all i use now except for my cutting software. 98% is done in Ai now and 2 % is in my cutter software . I couldn't ask for a better combo. This is just my 2 cents. Send me a pm if you wish .

Registered
I've been using Adobe products since Photoshop 5 came out (early '90's). They are easy to use, and have a ton more features than Corel. We work with both at my company, and I was forced to learn Corel because that's what was offered. I convinced them to also purchase Illustrator. I am a shortcut junkie, and wouldn't be able to do my job efficiently if I had to use Corel shortcuts. I've modified most of the shortcuts to match illustrator, but there's still a few that can't change and it's frustrating.
Just try using the Corel "autotrace" feature and then use Illustrators! There's a huge difference in the outcome. Corel's is messy. Only one feature that I like about Corel over Illustrator, the ability to delete an anchor point and the curve isn't lost. But that's not enough for me.
I just have the "cloud" version of illustrator. I don't agree with the concept that you have to continually pay for a program that technically dosen't need upgrading. You should be given the choice to either purchase a version, or purchase a subscription. For this reason, I am still rocking CS5 at work and CS2 at home. Adobe needs to learn to give options.

Registered
Learning curve and features are of course important. But another issue not mentioned is regarding other software that is involved such as RIP if you are in the DGT business. I would contact the RIP provider and ask whether AI or PS is the best dance partner.

Banned
part of this equation includes the issue of outside artwork. If you receive from outside designers the vast majority will be in AI format. CorelDraw does not import files very well unless they are very basic vector files. When it comes to importing PDF, EPS and AI files Corel can puke more times than not. Putting personal preference aside - AI is the industry standard.

Registered
Wow, no one has ever asked this one before....

Too bad there's not a search function on here
Full text search eats up resources, plus google pays 60% commission on clicks ;)
As for the question Coreldraw VS. Illustrator, only an newbie would ask it, and there is no correct answer. I personally use inkscape and it does everything I need. My sister has CorelDraw and illustrator, but I never had to ask her for help, She is the one asking me, as believe it or not, inkscape does a few things better.

Registered
Long story, I started with coreldraw back when it first came out way back when dinosaurs walked the planet, coreldraw was really the only option for screen printers back then without being taken to the bank from Adobe. Although I have used coreldraw from birth up today , I also like illustrator, although there is a learning curve basicly when differences on what the call their actions like "place" or import a raster image, corel I feel does pretty much what most screen printer demand. Now after saying that a few things I know illustrator does so much much better is their auto trace program no one can argue this point, the thing that got me on board and excited about Adobe illustrator is their normal brush and glob brush tool, I have a wacom cintiq 21'' and I do my own illustration work and with the cintiq and the adobe brushes I can draw freehand and it damn near feels like your drawing on illustration board, damn near but more than good enough, after time you get used to it. So I have to admit for my use of either program coreldraw is a great program so is adobe illustrator, although I just feel adobe illustrator is probably better with what it can do, also Ive never had illustrator crash on my pc or mac, I cant say that about coreldraw. It really depends on the software that you learn on.. thats the main point. If your ever dreaming about doing free hand drawing with a cintiq or a graphics set up like that you will want adobe illustrator!!! worlds away better than Coreldraw...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
I also like drawing with my Cintiq, and also my iPad Pro. You should check out Serif鈥檚 DrawPlus and/or Affinity Designer. The brush tools are superb but different than Illustrator. Illustrator recently began to dabble with a new type of brush (very old actually but new for Adobe) where the brush is a vector path with a bitmap image mapped along it. This is the kind of brush that Serif pretty much perfected. Like I said, Adobe dabbled with it and seems to have forgotten about it. It never gained any further features. But this brush type full blown in Serif programs. Most of my drawing is done in one or the other. DrawPlus on my PC with my Cintiq, and Affinity Designer on my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Another program that you should check out is Microsoft鈥檚 discontinued Expression Design. It鈥檚 free to download now directly from Microsoft and it has the same kind of brush as Serif鈥檚 programs.

Registered
I also like drawing with my Cintiq, and also my iPad Pro. You should check out Serif鈥檚 DrawPlus and/or Affinity Designer. The brush tools are superb but different than Illustrator. Illustrator recently began to dabble with a new type of brush (very old actually but new for Adobe) where the brush is a vector path with a bitmap image mapped along it. This is the kind of brush that Serif pretty much perfected. Like I said, Adobe dabbled with it and seems to have forgotten about it. It never gained any further features. But this brush type full blown in Serif programs. Most of my drawing is done in one or the other. DrawPlus on my PC with my Cintiq, and Affinity Designer on my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Another program that you should check out is Microsoft鈥檚 discontinued Expression Design. It鈥檚 free to download now directly from Microsoft and it has the same kind of brush as Serif鈥檚 programs.

Have you ever tried ArtRage? I really like it. I use an Intuos graphics pad.

Registered
I know illustrator does so much much better is their auto trace program no one can argue this point
You may want to try inkscape, and actually do the trace, because its preview is not perfect (saving processing power) ;)

If you can draw... try MyPaint and/or the more advanced Krita.
Here is a quick example of MyPaint (free software) on a really cheap tablet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hIwJpHmgLw
here is another example with Krita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwmpiULWuQc

All free software. No spyware or other nasty stuff. So there are no excuses... If you have talent you can make designs to sell.

If you do, and you make money, consider making a donation to the creators, and or recommend the software to others so they can do the same. That's what I'm doing ;).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.