T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is good at using this program, I am new to the screen printing process and am trying to figure it all out. I have a picture of a race car that i took that i would like to make into a tshirt for my brother. I was wondering what is the best way to design the car for the shirt. Any help would be appreciated. THanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
You could do an auto trace on the image and then selecting as many spot colors as you'd want to print...you have that kind of control in the corel trace feature.

But you're going to get best results by redrawing the entire image in vector, you'll always get better results that way. Unfortunately, drawing cars is very time consuming...probably the most unfun jobs I've done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you vector the image in corel draw. I am used to using adobe illustrator for vinyl graphics machine. I'm still trying to figure out corel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just import an jpg or whatever file type it is by selecting File --Import. Then right click on the image and select your tracing option. It will take you into a new window which will give you more control as far as detail, smoothing, colors, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have figured that part out. I just can't seem to make the car look real clean and make the wheels shine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thats the thing...autotrace will only get you so far depending on the complexity of the design.

Like I said, if you really want to get it looking good, you'll have to do it manually using the pen tool...or...tracing the line work on tracing paper, scanning that in, and autotracing that. Then filling in the color.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
auto tracing works well but Im guessing from your post what your wanting will not be acheived this way. Tracing the vehicle using the tool in Corel is your best option. This is time consuming yet the best way to achieve the look your after. This IMage was created while Beta testing CorelDRAW X3. Completely vector from a photo. Took around 15 hours to complete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That image looks really good. I'm just beginning to use corel i have never used it before. Would you recommend using corel or adobe for screen printing art work? Do you hand draw most of your images or do you make them on the computer?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
all the images in the gallery were created in CorelDRAW and all are vector images. I use CorelDRAW for my vector work and Photoshop for my raster work. Corel comes with PhotoPaint which is almost an exact replica of Photoshop so If I were you I would learn PhotoPaint as it comes bundled with Corel. Corel is great for creating screenprinting art.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's some pretty awesome CorelDraw work in your gallery Fluid!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts