T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of Tutorials available for doing Index separations in Photoshop.....I have not been able to find any for Corel Draw/Paint.....Can anyone provide links or threads of Step-by-Step tutorials for Corel Draw/Paint Index Separations?.....I have Corel Draw X5 suite....

· Registered
1,821 Posts
There are a lot of Tutorials available for doing Index separations in Photoshop.....I have not been able to find any for Corel Draw/Paint.....Can anyone provide links or threads of Step-by-Step tutorials for Corel Draw/Paint Index Separations?.....I have Corel Draw X5 suite....
CorelDRAW does not have an index color mode and therefore can not produce index color separations.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I question that.....Corel Draw/Paint has Palleted Mode which is a different name for what Photoshop describes as Indexed Mode.....I have been experimenting with it and gotten some results, but just haven't finalized the technique yet......Am looking for someone with experience in the process who can describe it in Corel language......Your blanket statement that it just can't be done does not compute.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
I question that.....Corel Draw/Paint has Palleted Mode which is a different name for what Photoshop describes as Indexed Mode.....I have been experimenting with it and gotten some results, but just haven't finalized the technique yet......Am looking for someone with experience in the process who can describe it in Corel language......Your blanket statement that it just can't be done does not compute.
Well I spent a long long time trying to figure it out myself and those modes do not work like Index in PhotoShop. And like you I got some results but I just could not get to fly like it does wth PhotoShops Index.

We even tried to build a plugin to do it and after weeks of work and research we canned the idea.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're killin me man ! ....Yeah, I have seen your stuff, and believe you have been there, done that. However I have seen some reports that it is doable.....I appreciate your input

· Registered
1,821 Posts
You're killin me man ! ....Yeah, I have seen your stuff, and believe you have been there, done that. However I have seen some reports that it is doable.....I appreciate your input
Well the major bump we hit was Corel renaming the colors in the color palettes after every raster color swap. This was while working on a system to automate this. So after color swaps in pixels the color IDs changed and thus the automation would be inaccurate.

And perhaps you can figure it out.. I put a hell of allot time into it but the bugs PP just drove me nuts.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Well you woke up my interest in this.. and we cracked it but it is not Sim Process actually better and it will blow your mind as it has mine. And all of it in DRAW not PhotoShop or a raster based app right in DRAW. Stand by I will have a video in a day or two and Simulated Process is dead! :) Let me say that again Simulated Process is dead.. one last time Simluated Process is Dead.

· Registered
428 Posts
Noooo what Simulated process is dead something better ?? , Holy Cow . Posting this because I want to be in the Loop . Does this mean I will be buying another one of your products soon Tom ?. I have collected a lot of your tutorials and programs .

· Registered
1,821 Posts
We just cracked this in DRAW this just shows that is can be done.. This is not Simulated Process or Index but an entirely new process which has worked as well or better than Sim Process on may different prints.

I will be working on more tutorials over the weekend but we have opened this and it is done in DRAW not PhotoPaint.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5GjN_nY40&feature=youtu.be[/media]

· Registered
258 Posts
We just cracked this in DRAW this just shows that is can be done.. This is not Simulated Process or Index but an entirely new process which has worked as well or better than Sim Process on may different prints.

I will be working on more tutorials over the weekend but we have opened this and it is done in DRAW not PhotoPaint.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5GjN_nY40&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Are you going to sell the macro?

· Registered
3,342 Posts
@Omni: i haven't used Corel since v6 but i recall there was allot of good bitmap options in that vector program. I haven't touched Painter since back then either.

i'd be happy to try and help by explaining how to do it in theory and then we would need to find if there's tools available.
does Painter have an index mode where you can use a custom pallet? i'd be surprised if that was in Draw. that's the first key and the second would be a selection tool so we can isolate each pixel color separately.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
very cool Tom!
I watched the video and it seems like these separations would still be considered simulated process. When printing you are using opaque inks with halftone dot patterns for blending the ink colors to create other colors, tones and hues, no?
Yes it does work with some of the same priciples but the color model, method of color extraction and color reproduction are different. We are not simulating process printing we are working with HSB color and recreating color based on HSB and not the process method of simulating color.

The basics of simulating continuous tones thru color blends and halftones is basically the same in both this new process and simulated process printing.

But we are working with different color extractions, color blends, and set ups then simulated process also. All of which I will explain the tutorials.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Omni: i haven't used Corel since v6 but i recall there was allot of good bitmap options in that vector program. I haven't touched Painter since back then either.

i'd be happy to try and help by explaining how to do it in theory and then we would need to find if there's tools available.
does Painter have an index mode where you can use a custom pallet? i'd be surprised if that was in Draw. that's the first key and the second would be a selection tool so we can isolate each pixel color separately.
Red514....Yes you can create custom color pallettes in Corel....As a matter of fact, they create some beautiful indexed images....The difficulty is in extracting and saving the separate colors into channels for printing. The method I have tried is to Mask to create channels but am running into a roadblock at that point... I know it is doable, but just haven't figured it out yet, as Corel does not have a Color range selection option like Photoshop.......

· Registered
3,342 Posts
hmm wish i knew someone with corel so i could investigate this. in photoshop i don't use color range to extract the colors of an index job, just the selection tool (magic wand), it's a bit quicker to use.

what about taking the indexed raster image and converting it to grayscale. then using level adjustments or tone curve to make a specific shade of gray solid black and everything else white?

· Registered
1,821 Posts
On of the things with HSB is that are able to pull all of the color.. sort of a 3 channal image..

Hue - All Your Colors
Saturation - Shading to Darkness
Brightness - White or Highlight

From there you build your separations. We do not pull colors via masking in the process. There are some tricks to all this and it is a very different approach but produces great separations with more viberance in the colors. This method is pretty easy in DRAW but takes allot of steps to pull all the colors. Automation reduced the time it takes.

The biggest challenge I think is getting quaity images for separating because, as always, if you have a really poor quality JPG it is not going to look good no mater what you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.