T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the "edit with bitmap" method i saw. But when i use the magic wand, it removes the image itself, and leaves the background and all the checkerboard pattern.

It's a PNG file with a checkerboard background. But this also applies to any other image that i'd need to remove the background.

I'm obviously a novice to the whole process, and i'm slowly grasping corel and photo paint. I'm working with the 2017 version, but i don't need to update as of yet.

Advice would be appreciated. I need to learn this, so i can proceed to learn to make film positives ready to print, and thus screen print itself.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Of course, if you downloaded the png from Google Images sometimes the numpties that upload them change them to jpg's, so that, even though they appear with a checker-board background, it's not transparent!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, see, this is why i asked on here. I'm computer savvy, but a complete novice with these kind of programs.

I downloaded some PNGs and they had the checkerboard backround. So, if their removed already, that's great.

But, say i have an image with a backround. Bitmap editing removes the outline, but when i magic wand the inside lettering/design, it removes the design itself.

I'm going through trial and error at the moment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In photo paint object manager make sure the image is set to object, not background ��

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
ctrl-i
delete
(make sure you have a transparent layer)

where are you getting your images from?
post a link

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As into the T has just said, if you have selected your foreground object (using the Magic Wand, or whatever) you then need to INVERT the selection before pressing delete.

Background removal is a tricky process if you have a busy background or your foreground object has a complicated outline (eg. hair, fur, branches etc) and the Magic Wand is a rough tool to use. You need to watch a few YouTube videos of the process. For best results, it often involves hand-drawing around the object with the Pen tool (Photoshop) to create a path which can be converted into a selection. Painstaking, but accurate.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
The drawing tool is pretty powerful but there are several ways to do this. You can edit the bitmap as you are trying to do, you can convert to curves and remove what you don't want and you can draw a boundary and place the image in the container. It depends on your image and what you are trying to accomplish.

The image itself posted would be helpful as has already been mentioned.

Also, as mentioned, there are a lot of tutorials on this that you can access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts