T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to have a month off and plan to lock myself up in the office and go through a Corel, Illustrator, and Photoshop "boot camp". I have Corel X3 and Illy and Photoshop CS2. I spent alot of money on that software a few months ago but it is now time to put it to work. I know I will not master that software in a month but at the same time our desings are not very difficult........some texts, maps, and mostly scanned or imported stuff. I won't be doing any free hand designs at all. After this training I hope to be well oriented and comfortable but who knows for sure. My question is where to start, I have worked on all programs and gotten somewhat familiar but still don't really know where to begin. Which program to start with, etc. Also, I have tutorials from learnkey.com and a few text manuals. Any input or suggestions that worked for some of you in the beginning. Thanks, EB

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just master the pen tool is what i did. Then maybe try learning the mesh tool which is complicated and havent really bothered trying it on a design. On photoshop just try learning different things you can do with filters and some of the tools i mostly use are the smudge burn and blur tool.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Corel X3 is much easier to get ahold of that Illustrator. You'll also be able to work much faster due to the way they created their tools. They even have some built in tutorials that will help you get started.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I would pick a vector program and stick with it. Trying to learn and master both CorelDRAW and Illustrator will take you forever. I have been using CorelDRAW for aver 10 years and still learn something new often.

Learn the Pen and Bezier tools. Import a t-shirt scan. (something simple) lock the image on its own layer and start tracing it with the various tools in the program. Fill thecolor using Pantone (PMS) spot colors. In corel you can use the in program separatins enging to automatically separate the pms colors.

www.unleash.com
www.oberonplace.com

are great resources for CorelDRAW.

Good Luck and Have fun :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for the info. Fluid, I have read several of your posts on screenprinters.net and will definately take your advise. I originally purchased Corel but then bought Illy as well due to a sale. I have read pros and cons for both so I am looking forward to deciding on my own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never been able to get teh grasp of Illustrator which is why I leave that stuff to my partner ;P.

Photoshop on the other hand, I find much easier. Maybe its time for me to take a month of and get to grips with vectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts