T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,,,,,, new to the forum. How's it going?

I see companies all over the internet selling CDs or digital downloads of Fortune 500 and other company logos. They have been selling them for years online. What are you allowed to do with these? If you can't legally put them on a shirt and sell them, then why are they for sale?

We have been operating a sign business for 25 years, but have never done anything with clothing at all. I know a little about copyright and trademark infringement, but this has me totally confused.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I see companies all over the internet selling CDs or digital downloads of Fortune 500 and other company logos.
Why would you pay for something like that, when you can get the logo from the company itself?
Unless of course you are talking about designs based on trademarks like Nike or Adidas.

They have been selling them for years online. What are you allowed to do with these? If you can't legally put them on a shirt and sell them, then why are they for sale?
Quiz games and logo parody are some legal uses.

We have been operating a sign business for 25 years, but have never done anything with clothing at all. I know a little about copyright and trademark infringement.
Placing a logo on a shop sign is perfectly OK, especially if the shop is selling items from that brand.
Also what you will be selling is the sign itself. The logo does not add value to it. A $200 sign will be $200 regardless of the logo.
The company could still ask for the logo to be removed, but that's a responsibility of the shop... not you as a printer.

Placing the logo on a shirt and selling it however is very different, because people will be buying the shirt because of the logo.
A $5 shirt sold for $20, means that the logo is adding $18 of value to it, and that value belongs to the trademark owner.

·
Administrator
14,901 Posts
If you can't legally put them on a shirt and sell them, then why are they for sale?
There are legal, legitimate reasons to place protected logos on garments. We print a lot of event shirts where the organizer places their sponsor's logos on the back. We could ask the organizer to contact the company and get a print-ready logo. But many times , especially at the larger companies, it is a hassle for the organizer (getting bounced from department to department just to get an image) and they have more important things to do. So if we have, or can readily obtain the logo, we don't have to bother our client to get it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you pay for something like that, when you can get the logo from the company itself?
Unless of course you are talking about designs based on trademarks like Nike or Adidas.

Quiz games and logo parody are some legal uses.

Placing a logo on a shop sign is perfectly OK, especially if the shop is selling items from that brand.
Also what you will be selling is the sign itself. The logo does not add value to it. A $200 sign will be $200 regardless of the logo.
The company could still ask for the logo to be removed, but that's a responsibility of the shop... not you as a printer.

Placing the logo on a shirt and selling it however is very different, because people will be buying the shirt because of the logo.
A $5 shirt sold for $20, means that the logo is adding $18 of value to it, and that value belongs to the trademark owner.
Thanks,,,,, I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are legal, legitimate reasons to place protected logos on garments. We print a lot of event shirts where the organizer places their sponsor's logos on the back. We could ask the organizer to contact the company and get a print-ready logo. But many times , especially at the larger companies, it is a hassle for the organizer (getting bounced from department to department just to get an image) and they have more important things to do. So if we have, or can readily obtain the logo, we don't have to bother our client to get it.
Thanks so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts