T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know what's me to make some t-shirts to sell. The design he wants must be relating to "The Grand Tour". How far can I go without breaking the UK law?

Can I use the name? Carton characters (with permission from the designer)?

Attached are 2 examples.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Someone I know what's me to make some t-shirts to sell. The design he wants must be relating to "The Grand Tour". How far can I go without breaking the UK law?

Can I use the name? Carton characters (with permission from the designer)?

Attached are 2 examples.
The first example would probably be OK in the UK. You could argue that it is parody.
The second one is not OK.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You should seek solid legal advice based on previous cases brought before and adjudicated on by the courts in your country.

There's one thing you can be sure of, if they do decide to sue you then guaranteed they've got a hell of a lot more time & money to do so than you have to defend your case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your responses guys. What about using just the title?

"The Grand Tour" In my own font, and some other text, car images etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry to bump guys, could anyone answer this? Waiting to start the design today :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Image one is a no no.
It is being used by these websites, so even if not infringing that idiot Clarksons IP you are infringing someones.

https://www.kidozi.com/product/grand-tour-top-gear-the-good-the-bad-and-the-slow-travel-mug-1320817
https://www.customon.com/product/grand-tour-top-gear-the-good-the-bad-and-the-slow-coffee-mug-1320816

The actual likeness to the presenters is of zero consequence because there are no image rights in the UK. The cartoonist holds the copyright. I am assuming your friend isn't the cartoonist... but if you or he come up with your own images then you can use them. (As long as you are not infringing any other IP in the process).

The phrase 'The Grand Tour' is fairly ubiquitous, as is the GT emblem, but even if you change the font if you use it in conjunction with anything that identifies it with the TV show then you risk being accused of 'passing off'. Hard to prove, but are you invested in the design enough to take the chance? You could end up being prosecuted or getting a legally binding 'Caution' from Trading Standards Officers.

You could use your ammended logo without problems. You could also use your own design of the three presenters. But as soon as you put them together on the same shirt then you are pushing your luck.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Pat is right

any association made with 'the grand tour' and auto could be construed (and more importantly argued) as passing off

why are you so determined to ripoff an existing brand, how many tee's is the customer ordering?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts