T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at some vintage signs that I would like to use elements of & am wondering what copyright restrictions there are on old stuff like that.
Also, what about items that are printed by the government? Are these public domain?
S.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I *think* items printed by the government are in the public domain.

Not sure about old vintage signs though. I think it depends on *how*old they are.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
I *think* items printed by the government are in the public domain.
I think this is true of the US government (and I believe it's not true of the Australian government, for example).

Rodney said:
Not sure about old vintage signs though. I think it depends on *how*old they are.
It does depend on how old they are. As a general rule of thumb, something being described as "vintage" isn't old enough to be out of copyright, and something described as "antique" is (obviously this is far from foolproof...).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea if Canadian Government prints are public domain?
Or any idea where to look for this topic? Im not coming up with much...
S.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Sharp21 said:
Any idea if Canadian Government prints are public domain?
Or any idea where to look for this topic? Im not coming up with much...
S.
Check this link:
http://www.accesscopyright.ca/resources.asp?a=198

accesscopyright.ca said:
There is currently no one place where information about the public domain is collected. The registry will make published works in the Canadian public domain easily identifiable and accessible in an online catalogue. The project will develop in two stages – first, a comprehensive registry of works by Canadian creators that are in the public domain will be established. Eventually, the reach of the registry will expand to include the published works of creators from other countries. The public domain registry will be a non-profit project and freely accessible to the public online
Looks like something is in the works to centralize the information.

You may want to try your public libraries in Canada to see if they have any information on public domain works.

Here's an interesting "wizard" that might help as well:
http://www.edusource.ca/craw/PD_Wizard.html

In case it helps: I searched google for: canadian public domain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts