T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed here hundreds of times, but my question is a little different. I am asking about copyright on sketches for a logo. Let me explain.
Graphic designer that's working on putting together a logo for me just finished a batch of sample/trial logos. We are going to go through these, edit them, make changes, try to find "the one" etc etc. Now should I ask for copyrights to be transferred to me on these sketches as well or I should I only bother with the final product? Do you think these might become useful in the future and since I've paid for it I can have the rights? Or is it not a common practice to ask for copyrights for "work in progress"? Let me know.

Thank you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Copyright Q. - little different though

Do you have a contract with this person? If so, it may already be spelled out that you are either to receive one completed design or the completed design and drafts.

If you don't have a contract or its not spelled out, I'd simply ask the question and find out how he/she feels about it. Then I'd write up a contract get it signed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Copyright Q. - little different though

Thanks Chris,

I don't have a contract with her yet. I'll email her and ask how she wants to handle it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, exactly what we did. Just as a conclusion to this thread - the answer is no. You receive copyrights to the finished product only, i.e. the one logo you pick. Sketches and other draft material belongs to the designer.

Thanks everyone for advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts