T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple questions about copyright laws that I was hoping I could find some answers for. It seems like it is hard to find particular copyright laws, especially here in Kentucky.

Anyways, I am hoping to start a business which sells t-shirts supporting local high school athletics. I was wondering what the premise was for using logos? Would this violate copyright laws?

If I were to create an alternate logo, would that raise any issues?

Also, if this is indeed a breach of copyright, who would I need to speak with to ask for permission to use the logo - the school or the artist?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I am hoping to start a business which sells t-shirts supporting local high school athletics. I was wondering what the premise was for using logos? Would this violate copyright laws?
Logos are typically protected as trademarks, not copyright. So you would be better off researching trademark law and licensing.

Generally, you would need permission or negotiate a licensing agreement to use an existing logo for profit. Otherwise it could be trademark infringement.

Not all high schools protect their logos as trademarks. But since high schools usually operate in their local market, it's a good idea to search state trademarks in addition to federal trademarks.

If I were to create an alternate logo, would that raise any issues?
It depends on close to the actual logo it is.

Also, if this is indeed a breach of copyright, who would I need to speak with to ask for permission to use the logo - the school or the artist?
If the school owns the rights to the logo, you would contact the school.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.