T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i take a 508 x 408 pixels pic and make it good enough to fit on a 2x shirt without a bunch of pixelation and just looking horrible?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
How do i take a 508 x 408 pixels pic and make it good enough to fit on a 2x shirt without a bunch of pixelation and just looking horrible?
Get a new picture. If I asked you how could I take a cup of lemonade and make a gallon from it with out watering it down, what would you say? There really isn't any magix tool to do this. Some people will tell you that there are tools to do this, but they don't make mountains out of mole hills.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Robert hit it right on the head. There is no magic bullet for doing this. You are going to need a better picture to work with. I have to tell a lot of my customers that "I can't work with this Picture". Better to let them know up front than give them bad work.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Here is how we handle this at my shop. First we ask the customer if they have a better, higher resolution file, .eps, or maybe even a .PDF. If they don't, kindly explain to them that to produce a quality finished print, you will need a better file. Then offer to re-draw the art in vector for a fee. Most of the time once they understand the importance of proper art, they agree to have the art reproduced. If the art is over your head to reproduce, outsource it. There are many very skilled graphic guys that can help you out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well it sometimes depends on what is it an image of. I agree with everyone else BUT if its a simple image you can use Illustrator with little experience to vectorise the image and enlarge it without any pixel distortion. In the past I had a customer who brought me in icon size stuff and after vectorising the image it looked great on any resolution.

So what is it an image of?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If the customer does not have a way to supply better artwork, and the image is not good for vectorizing, then the only chance is onOne's Genuine Fractals software that might be able to enlarge it and keep it acceptable. Genuine Fractals is the best software there is to try and enlarge raster (bitmap) images. If it can't make it look decent at a large size, it is impossible to enlarge it. You can download a free trial to see if it will do a good job on the image. If the trial software does a good job, you will have to buy the software to get an image without watermarks so you can then work with the image in your art department. Buying the software is not cost effective for one job though unless you can charge for the extra work to make the picture printable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it is something simple, e.g., solid shapes of solid colors, like most logos are, then vectorize it. If it is complex, like a photograph, then you simply need a better source.

For example, if the image were like this, then it could simply be vectorized, and you would be good to go. If the image were like this, then unless you're an Adobe Illustrator wizard, you are going to need a better source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts