T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..

Ok i have a grey and white image that is gonna be screen printed....Basically i need to convert the image to full white and also make all the shading into dots???....

Im a total newb to making a design ready for single color screen print. But im very conversant in photoshop........

Any help or plugin names or something would help loads cheers

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hi guys..

Ok i have a grey and white image that is gonna be screen printed....Basically i need to convert the image to full white and also make all the shading into dots???....

Im a total newb to making a design ready for single color screen print. But im very conversant in photoshop........
If I understand your intent. You have a grayscale image that you want to convert to a halftone and print it with white ink on a dark shirt.

Try this:

Get your image size to the actual printing size and set it to 100 dpi.
Then convert your image into a bit-map under Image>Mode>bitmap. If it is a color image, convert to grayscale, then you can select bitmap.

You will be presented with a dialog box, Output 100 (same as file resolution) and Method: Diffusion Dither.

Save the file as a tiff.

You will be able to place the image in illustrator and select it and set the tiff to a color, plus the tiff is transparent. I add my text into the design at this time, then output direct to film or velum.

Diffusion Dither will give you equal sized dot but randomly spaced. A 100 dpi dither works well on a 230 screen. I've even used it on a 156 under idea conditions.

Method: Halftone Screen will give you a few different effects. Do some testing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I understand your intent. You have a grayscale image that you want to convert to a halftone and print it with white ink on a dark shirt.

Try this:

Get your image size to the actual printing size and set it to 100 dpi.
Then convert your image into a bit-map under Image>Mode>bitmap. If it is a color image, convert to grayscale, then you can select bitmap.

You will be presented with a dialog box, Output 100 (same as file resolution) and Method: Diffusion Dither.

Save the file as a tiff.

You will be able to place the image in illustrator and select it and set the tiff to a color, plus the tiff is transparent. I add my text into the design at this time, then output direct to film or velum.

Diffusion Dither will give you equal sized dot but randomly spaced. A 100 dpi dither works well on a 230 screen. I've even used it on a 156 under idea conditions.

Method: Halftone Screen will give you a few different effects. Do some testing.

thats cool..i never tried that...thanks...i normally go to bitmap and choose haltone screen (300 res)....there u could chose the dots or lines then upload it to illustrator...after i uploaded it, i live trace it. but your idea sounds quicker..im goin to try that...thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
Youraboysha,

Below is a step by step instruction on how to get the effect you want. It also gives you a much higher degree of control over the 'dots' and grid size.

*BB Special* 3 Ways: VECTOR HALFTONES from RASTER Images | BittBox

I use the scriptographer plugin for illustrator(option # 2) it takes some playing around with but you can get some real good runs depending on your screenprint mesh. It is a free plugin for illustrator.

-Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts