T-Shirt Forums banner

convert epson 4000 to all black

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HankStamper 
#1 ·
Is this as simple as ordering all 8 cartridges as photoblack? I have the option in Accurip for all black ink. I thought this would be easy to search but maybe the answer is so simple no one has asked it haha.

#2 ·
No, this won't work. The cartridges all have chips on them that specify their color/position.
It will error and not print if you just put in the Epson photo black cartridges. Also, not opaque enough and you'll end up doubling up your films....a waste (even if they would work, which they won't).
That's why you need to get refillable/auto-resettable catridges for opaque DYE ink that you'll want for your films. These will be available from different suppliers. It's an aftermarket product, not Epson. I bought my first ones from a seller on Ebay and my latest ones for my new printer from oversizedfilm.com
You'll have to check around for a seller that will have the set for your printer.

#3 ·
I use an Epson 1400 and generate blacks on transparency film that is absolutely black enough for burning perfect transparencies. I generate most of my images in Illustrator. In Illustrator I set colours to CMYK, for "rich black." It goes like this:
C=70%
M=50%
Y=30%
B=100%
There are other formulae for rich black and you may wish to google for them and experiment.

On the printer, I go into the settings:
Paper: ultra premium matte
Speed: slowest
Photo: RPM

None of this is carved in stone. You may wish to experiment a with various settings.

I used to fret a lot about Black Maxx ink, RIP, all black inks, etc. I'd love to have all that--I really like cool tools and equipment (cf. my welder, Miller Dynasty 200)--but the printer with software and printer settings works like a hot darn for me and I could not really justify anything more.

Ciao,
Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.