T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought my Hix HT-400D used a few years ago after creeping these forums for months. I was not dissapointed by it. I made a single batch of T-shirts for a bachelorette party with it (which actually cost me money I think, live and learn), and one for myself. Then it sat at my parents house for months. I've since moved to the UK and have had the bug hit me again.

It's certainly not cheap to ship all 84 pounds of heat press to the UK, but it's cheaper than buying one here. My question is, does anyone know anything about converting one of these to work on 220v in the UK? Lots of appliances work equally well on 110v or 220v. Do heat presses fall into that category? I'll be back in the states in a few months so I can actually look at the back of the heat press and read the specs off of it, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before.

I've seen a few links that make me think it's possible:

Listawood Trade Supplies - Products

That site mentions the UK plug adaptor, but mentions nothing of the power requirements.

[media]http://www.hixcorp.com/pdf/manuals/HT120205.pdf[/media]
That actual manual mentions a 220v fuse.

I'm hoping through some use of a new fuse and a power adaptor (or just a new power lead) I can use my heat press in the UK.

It's worth mentioning that I also have a US to UK transformer, but I don't like the idea of using a transformer with something like a heat press which definitely leans more towards the "appliance" side of the electronics spectrum.

Any help with my conundrum would be appreciated. Pending that, anyone with a comparable heat press in the UK thinking of moving to the US and interested in a trade? :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I got a response from Ray at Hix:

Joe, I asked engineering about a converter and this is the response:

Voltage “converters” such as sold in Wal-mart etc. for intermittent use with razors, hair dryers etc. will not work reliably on a HTM since these devices are meant for applications where you are using the appliance for only a few minutes at most.

What they need is a “step down” transformer to transform the 240V down to 120V.
With a HT-400 they should look for one with at least 1,500 watt capacity.

We don’t stock anything like this, but they can probably fine one locally.
Have them look for something like a Stancor GSD-1500
[media]http://www.stancor.com/wrdstc/pdfs/Catalog_2006/Pg_038_39.pdf[/media]
Not hat I was hoping for.

I'm still hoping for a useful reply from the people at Listawood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts