T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you tell me if I can do the following:

Take an image created in Word Paint, open it in Photoshop, do Save As a photoshop file? Once that done - does the new Saved As file automaticaly become a vector file? Or is there more to it?

Thank you all

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
No, it's a bit more complicated than that (for one thing Photoshop is not a vector based program).

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I don't think photoshop can save vector files. Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw can.

In coreldraw you can import an image from paint and then do a "trace" of the image to vectorize it and then save the file as a vector.

There are also services that will take your raster graphic and convert it to a vector for you (like artworksource.com, vectordoctor.com)

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will probobly pretty much have to redraw it by hand using the pen tool, unless it is a pretty clear bitmap 300 dpi or better in one color. Then you might be able to auto trace it. In either Corel Draw or Illustrator.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys,

In that case can you tell what must I do to get that done? So as of right now I have an image of a logo in Word Paint and I can find access to various software (Illustrator, Corel or other). Would you be able to instruct me in steps on how to convert it to the correct format?

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
While the conversion process isn't that difficult, it sounds like you'd be jumping ahead of yourself to try it now. If you're on a limited timeframe I'd recommend outsourcing it to a vector conversion service (like one of the ones Rodney mentioned). Otherwise, I'd begin at the beginning; start learning a graphics program from the ground up, with the help of a good book or video tutorial or class or etc. (there is a good thread on the forums with various recommendations).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts