T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I´m in the middle of converting a Epson 3800 Pro printer to DTG.

I have build the base with the motor and encoder inside , set up the mainboard to new place, stripped and remounted the printer to the base.

But now a have 2 questions:

1. I can only get the PW sensor to work if i put the original plastic piece when the printer starts up. I´ve tested with black tape, aluminium tape and some strange things, but nothing will work to override the start procedure. Are there any new solutions for this?

2. Second thing is, the printer does not startup with ASF Feeder (and motor) mounted and working. If i disconnect the motor and sensor, it will give a error message.

All other thing are working so far. I´m sure i have a lot of questions more, but these two things are the most important now....

Thanks in advance.

I don´t know how to post pictures here. So only a short video:
http://youtu.be/uPbpAA4teWo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I´m now able to bring the printer in "READY"-State.

It´s controlling now the ASF Sensor with an arduino and readings from the Paper Encoder and a little bit of timing. The PW sensor is initialized with a piece of black tape at the end of the carriage way.

I´m planning now to mount the paper sensor (PF) in the right way and make a test print... ;-)
The arduino will be used as well to make an automatic Load-Program with it´s own end switches.

Few fotos:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what i have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2SHuS-1rfo

Printer inits with help of arduino and software, overrides the ASF sensor and goes to Ready state.
Also i´m able to print with sheet mode and roll mode.
I can switch it to manual mode(switches the PF motor to external power supplay and arduino) and press a button to move the platen to its original position to set it ready for next print.

Next things to do:

- Change the button function to "Automatic Reload" platen. At the moment its only moving backwards as long as i push the button. With the PF sensor connected (it´s done) i should find a solution in software to Reload the "Paper"(Shirt) for next print exactly.

@JAHroh: It was a not reliable solution. Too many errors so i decided to start the printer with the original tray and remove that before printing. Dont know if i will search for a solution to override it with arduino programming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I´m in the middle of converting a Epson 3800 Pro printer to DTG.

I have build the base with the motor and encoder inside , set up the mainboard to new place, stripped and remounted the printer to the base.

But now a have 2 questions:

1. I can only get the PW sensor to work if i put the original plastic piece when the printer starts up. I´ve tested with black tape, aluminium tape and some strange things, but nothing will work to override the start procedure. Are there any new solutions for this?

2. Second thing is, the printer does not startup with ASF Feeder (and motor) mounted and working. If i disconnect the motor and sensor, it will give a error message.

All other thing are working so far. I´m sure i have a lot of questions more, but these two things are the most important now....

Thanks in advance.

I don´t know how to post pictures here. So only a short video:
http://youtu.be/uPbpAA4teWo
I don't know if you have tried this, but I just straight out removed my PW sensor and it worked great after that. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only disconnecting the sensor not worked. ends with an error message and the printer will not start.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
next success.... step by step....

with the PW sensor i was misunderstanding. i had disconnected it at the assy board on the printhead. now i disconnected the sensor from above and it worked. thank you......

now i´m able to test print.....
much more things to do but at least it prints.

video from the very first print....
http://youtu.be/xeac9h4KVZ8

still with standard epson driver and standard ink.

the next steps are:
- mount the new motor driver to make a complete loading mechansim with arduino control
- align the printer to the base and the rpnthead
- make 2 new platen to hold the shirts(iu´m thinking about printing two shirt at once.....)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: next success.... step by step....

Very nice build , Im wondering why you choose to use the Arduno board to drive your paper feed motor instead of tricking the sensors and using the printers native drive . Seems like less work and more accuracy . I like that you used the original feed shaft - did you line the underside of the table with cork ? what are you using for proper traction ? Keep up the good work !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: next success.... step by step....

with the PW sensor i was misunderstanding. i had disconnected it at the assy board on the printhead. now i disconnected the sensor from above and it worked. thank you......

now i´m able to test print.....
much more things to do but at least it prints.

video from the very first print....
http://youtu.be/xeac9h4KVZ8

still with standard epson driver and standard ink.

the next steps are:
- mount the new motor driver to make a complete loading mechansim with arduino control
- align the printer to the base and the rpnthead
- make 2 new platen to hold the shirts(iu´m thinking about printing two shirt at once.....)
Good Job.
Is the 3880 has the same components as the R3000 (like if you disassembled it same as the UFO R3000 video.
Im thinking of using 3880 as it has a wider print area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know if there are many differences between 3000 and 3800/3880 because this is my first conversion. I figured out all the things with help of google, this fourm and youtube.
@tipgypsy:
The paper feed motor is still connected to the printer as it was. It prints with it´s original PF control.
The arduino is connected with PF sensor, PF motor and encoder. With the black switch at the front i can switch between Printer control and manual mode.
In manual mode the arduino is moving the PF motor. So i can make an Autload-Button to retract the platen in it´s original position and make it accurate for white base and color printing. That is at least the idea......

Also i need the arduino for tricking the ASF sensor at startup and also the PF sensor for Paper load sequence to prevent from error messages.

Maybe now it´s a bit clearer.....:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Moeffe, thanks and thats a clever way to do the job ! I saw another guy trick the asf sensor by stubbing the shaft, leaving it connected to its original drive gear and sliding the asf next to that gear like a sandwich - It works well on the stylus pro 4000 so I used the technique ,then I only had to have paper under the sheet detector (made a long trick stripe of white to fool it) - I removed the roll feed sensor and it works very well .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It´s done!!!!

The printer now works like a charm.
I have added the auto-reload button to the software and testet it. Wow....
The printer starts without any error and is printing fine......

Have a look at my new video:
Complete procedure with printer startup, auto-Reload-Button and printing on shirt and paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU8tl7nNB1g

Now it´s time to wait for the DTG ink..... then will follow the next video:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks Great - nice Job ! In the video it looks like your getting some table wobble as the carriage swings back and forth - Mine had similar issues - putting some of the side structure back on the printer helps - also in your print drive there is an option to set the dry time as the head scans - putting this around 25 will slow the wobble and shake . Good luck !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It´s done!!!!

Reday for printing!!!!!

After 3 months of reading, programming, converting and ordering it´s finally done.

Last week came the ink and chip resetter, so i flushed the hole printer with flushing solution and water and filles the carts with textile ink.
In another thread somewone helped me with the filling procedure... 1 time initial ink fill and one power cleaning was enough to put out water and cleaning solution. one initial ink fill with the textile ink and now it´s printing. I was very surprised about the print quality without spending a long time with adjusting....
So, if anyone is interested in support with the conversion, feel free to ask. I will not make any conversion-howto or something like that. If i can help somebody a little donation for my new business is welcome but not must.....

Here´s the latest video and pictures from today:

https://youtu.be/zwdx3YiYcSw

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First printed result. Still have to adjust the printhead height and maybe make a better and bigger platen with better holding machanism.

But resolution and color are very impressive.....

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
@ moeffe Why is it that the blacks and the reds in the image are not deep/ pure....Looks a bit transparent. Is this because of the printers capability or is this because no white layer of ink was used first?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is: If you use a white layer first will the colors be crisp without the image appearing semi transparent or faded?

I agree the resolution does look great. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I´m still in process of testing ink amount, platen gap, photoshop etc.

Today i´va tested to print with white ink on black shirts. After struggling around with pretreatment and ink settings i made my first results.

I still not have an heat press, but it´s ordered. I think with the right amount of heat and pressure it will be better next time.....

but so far so good.....

Video: http://youtu.be/iu1Cq86U_wA

If anyone has tips for me how to improve the quality......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts