T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of starting an online tshirt business and plan to have the designs printed by a local screenprinter. Is there a contract that is normally made between the designer(me) and screenprinter?

How can I protect my ideas and promote publicity and sales at the same time?
(I wouldn't mind working out an agreement with the screenprinter to promote sales, yet wouldn't want shirts printed and sold without my consent.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Copyright the designs as soon as you finish with them, Its just a $30.00 fee go to www.copyright.gov and dowload the form.

Make sure the designs have a copyright BEFORE you give them to the screenprinter.

It goes in effect when they(goverment) recive the mail (i think) and they mail you a certificate a few months later.

Then they can't sell without your permission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a usual written contract format I can use with the screenprinter?

to put bluntly, the screenprinter has mentionned interest in selling my shirts. I have no problem with working out a commission based agreement (which I'm not sure how to write out).

But what's to keep any printer, copyrighted or not, from producing extra shirts and selling them for cheaper without my label and consent on a small scale? (worst case here)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've never heard of a printer stealing peoples ideas or art on the sly. Can't say it doesn't happen, but people in this industry are pretty cool!

Anyone that wants to help you promote/sell your stuff... go for it.

If you would like a contract... let me know and I'll send you one. Too much to post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure-that'd be great if you could email it to me. haha- I would hope not.

I work at the printer's and he's mentionned wanting to make profit by selling my designs to local stores and friends.

Which is good, but got me thinking I need to make sure there's no misunderstanding and know how to protect my work before I start.

Thanks~

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I think most screen printers have their own internal non disclosure type contract that states they won't use your artwork unless you are placing an order.

Like CHL, I've never heard of a screen printer stealing artwork, but there are all types of people in the world. If you have a reputable company that you're working with, I don't think it would be an issue at all.

I've never had a contract in 10 years and haven't had any problems with my printer.

That's not to say that a smaller printer (or larger less honest printer) would give me the same experience.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sure if you want a contract or not? In any event, Rodney is correct. I don't use a contract for 95% of our clients. However, we deal w/ a lot of movie studios that are never on time w/ anything. We need a contract to be able to change the deal when they change the deal.

Trust me… this thing is bigger than the Bible!

Just ask the guy… straight up… and take it from there. If you feel uneasy, then don’t do it and look elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I would like a copy of the contract. Could you email it to me? (I'm new to the forum so I'm not familiar with how the email works-I think there's direct access?)

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
*bumps thread*

i noticed coolhandluke is no longer activer on here...

I am in the same predicament as the op...

Starting a line and have narrowed it down to a screen printer.
To protect myself i would like a short contract to make sure that my designs will not be used else where...

Does anyone have a sample contract or some base i can use to create my own?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Speaking from the screen printers side (and I have never delt with movie agencies like Luke), I would never steal a customers artwork, and I can't imagine any reputable screen printing business that would ever consider that. If word got out that you pulled that kind of stunt, I think you would be done..who would eever go to you??? It's just not worth it. Besides, I make the money by printing, and I hope my customers sell a lot so they come back for more.

That being said, I would have no problem signing something that said you would be the only one I printed your art for. I'm sorry but I don't have any contract like that to give you.

Good luck,
Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts