T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Plastisol transfgers so easy to do and get from the supplier, why should anyone get the Roland at $1600 or whatever..??
Isn't a plotter/cutter like this just a lot more work and expense, when you can just get the Plastisols and do as good a job, or better, and in multi-color??

your advice is appreciated.....

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
With Plastisol transfgers so easy to do and get from the supplier, why should anyone get the Roland at $1600 or whatever..??
Isn't a plotter/cutter like this just a lot more work and expense, when you can just get the Plastisols and do as good a job, or better, and in multi-color??

your advice is appreciated.....
beczuse if you get a small one color order you can use vinyl which will last as long as plastisol. Plus you can then extend your business into other areas such as signs. I have the gx24 and love it. Had I paid for it (I won it) it would have made 4 times it's cost this year alone. Don't limit your thinking on this type of equipment. It is like the people who have heat presses passing up screen printing jobs. The they discovered plastisol heat applied graphics. As I did at one time.
Lou

·
Registered
406 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to offer one-of-a-kind shirts?

Do you want to be able to customize shirts with names/saying/etc?

Do you want to offer stickers/vehicle vinyl/interior wall vinyl?

A vinyl cutter isn't 100% necessary, but will add to what you can offer your customers.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You can do a million and one more things with a cutter then you can with plastisol. Not saying you need a $1600.00+ machine though ;)
True. I had a JSI 24 as my first cutter.Sells on ebay for $650 new I paid 300 used and sold it one year later to the guy I bought it from for 200. I made over $5000 in one year with it at a cost of $100.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yes Lou, I gave $200.00 for my newest Refine and it has probably already made me close to 5Kand only had it for 2 months. There's so many things you can use these machines for, it's unreal. T-shirts and such are only 1/10 of 1%

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
A big item for the GX24 is the optic eye...IF you want to contur cut around and image....but if you are not into that arena...there are several respectable cutters available that will serve you well...I know our sponsors have tham and I think Planb in the forum also has them...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I will say that my cutters have more than paid for themselves and have paid for a few other things too. I have most likely made over $10,000 This year from heat press vinyl alone. I have just started doing a few other vinyl applications with sign vinyl. I turned away a lot of banner and sign business, but now I'm going to do that too. I decided I was not going to say no anymore and my outsourceing of jobs is going to slow too. .... JB

·
Registered
231 Posts
A big item for the GX24 is the optic eye...IF you want to contur cut around and image....but if you are not into that arena...there are several respectable cutters available that will serve you well...I know our sponsors have tham and I think Planb in the forum also has them...
You also get speed, accuracy, lower running noise, and proven reliability.

...and it's a better looking machine. :p

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

True, My JSI was so noisy The air lines called and complained when they flew over my house as it was disturbing the passengers.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Speed I'll give you, lower noise I will definitely give you, but accurancy and reliabilty I can't give you. I can cut anything with my Refine as accurate as you can with your Roland GX-24 including contour cutting (I use Flexi Pro and can contour cut VERY ACCURATE) and reliable, I've had my first machine for around 2 yrs and haven't had a bit of troubles. I bought another one just so I had a backup.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Speed I'll give you, lower noise I will definitely give you, but accurancy and reliabilty I can't give you. I can cut anything with my Refine as accurate as you can with your Roland GX-24 including contour cutting (I use Flexi Pro and can contour cut VERY ACCURATE)
I'm sorry, but from the link you showed me in the other thread I don't believe so. It has nothing to do with Flexi (I own and love the program) or any other software. It's that you're eyeballing your origin point versus hair's width laser accuracy.

You align and square your print on the machine the same way we align vinyl rolls, using the machine's guidelines. Then by a process of trial and error, you align the x and y axis visually. Correct?

The GX24 not only centers the x and y axis off of it's 3 registration marks, but will rotate the cut lines to match the alignment of the design based upon the position of those registration marks. You'd need to mount a dial indicator to your machine to come anywhere close to centering the way the GX24 does it.

Why do you think they recommend you put those heavy borders around your designs? Eyeballing is passable at best, while I can cut dead center on an outline with a pencil-line's breadth every time.

theflowerboxx said:
and reliable, I've had my first machine for around 2 yrs and haven't had a bit of troubles. I bought another one just so I had a backup.
There are Rolands that have ran every day for the past 20 years. As a company, it has an unbeatable track record for reliability.

I'll concede that your cutter is an amazing machine for the price and easily a recommendation for anyone on a tight budget...

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Roland GX-24 rockssss !!!!!!
Great for my 15m2 workshop ! lol ^^
Great for my custom "details" design.(stickers, shirt...)
Great for the silence.
Great for my sand painting.
BUT ! yes there is a "but", for MAC users you only have a plugin.:( whatever... it still rockksss

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm sorry, but from the link you showed me in the other thread I don't believe so. It has nothing to do with Flexi (I own and love the program) or any other software. It's that you're eyeballing your origin point versus hair's width laser accuracy.

You align and square your print on the machine the same way we align vinyl rolls, using the machine's guidelines. Then by a process of trial and error, you align the x and y axis visually. Correct?

The GX24 not only centers the x and y axis off of it's 3 registration marks, but will rotate the cut lines to match the alignment of the design based upon the position of those registration marks. You'd need to mount a dial indicator to your machine to come anywhere close to centering the way the GX24 does it.

Why do you think they recommend you put those heavy borders around your designs? Eyeballing is passable at best, while I can cut dead center on an outline with a pencil-line's breadth every time.

There are Rolands that have ran every day for the past 20 years. As a company, it has an unbeatable track record for reliability.

I'll concede that your cutter is an amazing machine for the price and easily a recommendation for anyone on a tight budget...
That link I posted in the other thread has nothing to do with me. This the a post I made up How to contour cut with Flexi Pro and Refine and as I have said, I can contour cut with my refine and flexi probably as well as your roland. I'm not trying to get into a huffing match, but I'm letting you know that the refine can contour with the proper software just may take a few seconds longer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What do you mean with having only a plugin?

I'm going to buy this great cutter but I've been using MAC for the past 10 years and I am not switching over to PC.
You are totaly right !!! Don't switch.:D
Well for Mac users, the GX-24 comes with an Illustrator "cut studio" plug-in. And if you are on Illustrator CS3 and run intel based Mac (like i am) you have to run the software on "Rosetta". It's not big deal, but when you works a lot on graphiks the capacity of the soft. is not at 100%.
But don't worry it's working really great!:D
I was just wondering to run the CutStudio software because i've been searching like 4 month for all the information, videos, articles...about the GX-24 before i was sure to bought it. But today i'm feeling like a child who had his birthday presents.:p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Awesome, good to know because I was a lil' bit afraid about that. I use Illustrator CS2 and just wanted to create my arts and send immediately to the cutter.

I want that cutter anyway, even I have to get a cheap PC to only plug it into the cutter for that purpose only.

Thank you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What else can be made with a Vinyl Cutter (GX 24) other than t-shirts?
Signs, vinyl decals, automotive graphics, sand blast templates, magnets, there are conversion kits to do light engraving/etching, plotting with a pen... etc. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something)

On the t-shirt/apparel end of things you can cut heat applied vinyls (like thermoflex), flocking, twill, and contour cut printed materials. Remember that these can be used on many other textiles than shirts (pants, hats, umbrellas, blankets, bags, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum).

·
Registered
258 Posts
I purchased the Roland GX24, Heat press, and software when I initially started out. Whether you need it or not depends on what you market. I started out doing small jobs and then once I received larger runs I started using Plastisol. Now I am about 99% plastisol and 1% vinyl - on shirts. I found that I hate "weeding" vinyl!!! So I will take on banner jobs and window decals when they come looking for me, but I don't go looking for that business very hard. However it is VERY profitable. For me I have enjoyed doing t-shirts and work mostly with schools and little leagues (runs of over 50).

So in short - the direction I have taken with my business I could have done without the cutter. However I still use it, it has paid for itself, and it does give you some other avenues for profit. Another point to make is that I have NEVER used the optical eye (which I thought I might, but was unimpressed with inkjet transfers). So I think there are more economical options if you do not have a need for the optical eye.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts