T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sorta new to the whole t-shirt printing business. In my start up, I keep seeing that printers for sale and inkjet paper for sale... Im confused as to why they always imply that you need a Vinyl cutter as well?

I want to print up my own heat transfers, and Im just wondering what would be needed, and how to go about doing that.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You don't necessarily need a cutter. If your doing transfers for only light colors, you do not have to trim close. If you intend to do transfers for dark colors and use opaque paper, you have to trim the transfers in order not to see the white backround. This is where the cutter comes in. You can also expand your service by offering vinyl shirts and even signs with a cutter.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I want to print up my own heat transfers, and Im just wondering what would be needed, and how to go about doing that.
1. A printer with pigment ink. Epson with durabrite ink seem to be the favorite.
2. If printing light garments, inkjet paper for lights (JPSS - Jet-pro Soft stretch is good and a forum favorite.)
3. If printing dark transfer paper, inkjet paper for darks. (Have not tried transfer paper for darks so can't really recommend one.)

A cutter is not necessarily needed for either one but would be much quicker when using transfer paper for darks. Use a pair of scissors to cut around the image when using transfer paper for lights, and an xacto knife with a cutting mat when using transfer paper for darks. (See attached video) Again I have not used transfer papers for darks but if you search the forum you will find many threads discussing the topic.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLM1rDAliIw[/media]

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I tried one right after I posted. It was in a sample pack I received some time ago. I outlined the design then cut it out with an xacto knife. I do have a contour cutter but the design was square so it was pretty simple to cut out. It came right up, just like in the video, then I heat pressed it to the garment. It pressed fine but I did not like the feel. It was terrible, it felt hard and stiff. Feels like something laying on your chest. The sample paper I used was laser 1 opaque.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, perfect so is there any special inks that need to be used when printing your own designs? Which printers would you all recommend for a starter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts