T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and like everyone would like to find out more about printing my own t-shirts. I am always amazed and grateful when perfect strangers help out someone just for the sake of helping, already I find the information here helpful.
I read in Cindy's book that you cannot use certain characters like, Elmo, Dora, etc, on anything that you are going to sell but I looked at Ebay site and saw personalized t-shirts with this characters being sold. Did they get permission and if they did how? I would like to get into the personalization part of this business and will be coming here a lot begging for help.

I must tell you I am a stay at home mom trying to generate an income, but looking at the Ebay site and how many people are doing it has taken some of the wind out of my sails.

·
Registered
249 Posts
starprince said:
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and like everyone would like to find out more about printing my own t-shirts. I am always amazed and grateful when perfect strangers help out someone just for the sake of helping, already I find the information here helpful.
I read in Cindy's book that you cannot use certain characters like, Elmo, Dora, etc, on anything that you are going to sell but I looked at Ebay site and saw personalized t-shirts with this characters being sold. Did they get permission and if they did how? I would like to get into the personalization part of this business and will be coming here a lot begging for help.

I must tell you I am a stay at home mom trying to generate an income, but looking at the Ebay site and how many people are doing it has taken some of the wind out of my sails.
eBay is a wasteland of poorly executed copyright infringing merchandise. I would guess that a verrrry small number of people selling shirts bearing popular characters on eBay have licensing agreements from the corporations that own them. That is just a guess.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Please do not look at eBay to figure out what is legal. Most of the time, if you see a design that has a well known image or character, the seller is probably selling it illegally as far as copyright infringment is concerned. Try to come up with something original, and you will be that much more satisfied when it sells.

It's best to come up with your own designs. You will not be one of thousands that are selling Elmo and Dora, or Batman or Harley. You will be the only one selling your design, and that is why people will buy your t-shirts. Let the things you see and hear inspire you to come up with something new or a twist on something trendy.

As far as how many people are doing it, do not let that get you down. Consider instead, how many people are buying t-shirts. Think about all the screen printers in the world, all the stores selling t-shirts, all the people selling on eBay, all the fullfillment companies. All of these people are in business because there are millions of people buying this stuff.

So go for it starprince, and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for clearing that up for me and I also want to thank Decal Designs for the encouragement. I will forge ahead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts