T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16" scoop coater from Ryonet.

I noticed that the black end caps r wiggly and loose and won't snap on tightly. Also, I made a pass on my screen and it left blank spots, like the coater didn't touch the screen in some places. No matter at what angle or how hard I push, I'm getting really uneven passes with the emulsion. What's up with that?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As for the end caps, I would call them and insist they replace the whole thing. Otherwise a little super glue might work. If the blade doesn't make good contact, you would have a heavier deposit in those places. Moisture or greasy places would keep the emulsion from adhering. Make sure your screens are clean, dry and degreased. God Bless.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
make sure that you have a decent amount of emulsion touching the screen as you coat it - doesn't hurt to tip the coater alot, as long as you press hard enough to avoid glopping on the screen. Sounds like you might be "running out" of emulsion as you're coating - either from not enough emulsion in the coater, or from changing the angle as you coat it and allowing the emulsion to run back into the coater and not onto the screen.

For the wiggly ends, give it a couple of good taps on a table - sometimes it just needs to "seat" properly for it to stick - unless there's a manufacturing defect of some sort.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have the same problem with a coater from ryonet. There is no way you could coat with one hand. You have to hold the end caps on or they will flop right off. The seal isnt tight at all. I have a different coater from another company and those caps are nice and tight.

I will probably have to silicon the caps on the ryonet coater but its make cleanout a bit of a chore.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Same here...my caps will not stay on. As for areas that are not getting covered it is probably due to the emulsion not flowing from the scoop coater. Just make sure you are tipped up so the emulsion is "falling" out of the scoop coater. If it is angled back then it will be going away from the screen.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's plenty of emulsion in the coater. It's like the coater isn't straight- it won't sit level against the screen (new, tight screen).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay TJ! Thanks for sending me a new, smaller scoop coater! :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG IM SO RETARDED! *A sign taped on my wall right in front of my emulsion station* -USE THE SKINNY/SHARP EDGE OF THE SCOOP COATER-

Do u think I read that and processed that thru my brain before I picked up my scoop coater and coated my screen? NO! *slaps forehead*

Well, I need a new one anyway cuz the end caps won't snap on.

Geeze *slaps forehead*

·
Registered
45 Posts
burn dude i ordered two coaters from ryonet and both of them have loose end caps. wtf mate. i guess it made cleaning it out easier or something...

·
Registered
680 Posts
OMG IM SO RETARDED! *A sign taped on my wall right in front of my emulsion station* -USE THE SKINNY/SHARP EDGE OF THE SCOOP COATER-

Do u think I read that and processed that thru my brain before I picked up my scoop coater and coated my screen? NO! *slaps forehead*

Well, I need a new one anyway cuz the end caps won't snap on.

Geeze *slaps forehead*

You'll get better stencils overall by using the round edge of the scoop coater. I know there are tons of people that use the sharp edge but the round edge gives you more latitude and allows you to build a thicker stencil with way less work. If you don't want a thick stencil, adjust your coating techinique and number of strokes. We used to use the sharp edge exclusively but once we went round, our stencils are better, less pinholes and overall better in every category.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agreed. I started using the round side with a 2/2, wet or glisten coating method and I can't believe the difference in stencil.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Its all depending on the print. On that factoid all the ryonet scoop coaters should be replaced. Mine totally sucks for sure. The ends do nothing but fall off. There is know way to coat a screen without hanging on to each end of the screen coater. Not a bad company but a crappy screen coater design.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got no problems with Ryonet at all. They've been nothin but cool to me.

TJ gave him his number and gave him a new scoop. Honestly, I don't know any company that would do that on a 3rd party board.

My scoops were fine, but the more I used them (cleaned them) the caps got loose. Pretty normal I would think.

Easy fix. Don't clean the end caps. Let em dry with a little emulsion in em. It's not gonna go on the next screen.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I take the caps off after every use and clean them off completely. I've yet to have a problem with the end caps. I pop them on and give them a smack and they stay on pretty tight.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have three different scoop coaters, one large and one standard size. All of them from Ryonet. All of my end caps come off, and I was under the impression that they were supposed to be removed for cleaning purposes, and eventually would just become loose. But I have come up with a solution other than purchasing new scoops. Just prior to filling the scoop with emmulsion, I place a piece of screen tape (or masking tape) around the cap taping it to the coater. This keeps it in place for the coating process, then can easily be removed for cleaning. Good Luck all. Aloha

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have three different scoop coaters, one large and one standard size. All of them from Ryonet. All of my end caps come off, and I was under the impression that they were supposed to be removed for cleaning purposes, and eventually would just become loose. But I have come up with a solution other than purchasing new scoops. Just prior to filling the scoop with emmulsion, I place a piece of screen tape (or masking tape) around the cap taping it to the coater. This keeps it in place for the coating process, then can easily be removed for cleaning. Good Luck all. Aloha
Yeah...thats probably a good and easy fix. My caps just fall off and you have to actually hold them on to coat a screen. I take them off for cleaning but there is no snapping them off, snapping them on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts