T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I for one am excited for the launch even if it is in two weeks or next month. I also don't really care who is making the product although I'm that info was shared in some off handed attempt to make Conde look bad. Believe it or not Conde doesn't actually make the vast majority of what they sell. That's their business model. I'm also not going to be shocked when I order and it is already back-ordered. These things happen.

This is the first time I have ever wished for a dislike option on posts. 6 times to be exact just in this thread. Hazarding a guess, probably a regular member that created a new account just to spout off and be anonymous so that Conde doesn't tell him/her to get bent.

Snickers indeed!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just got back from ISS Nashville and got to meet and talk to James Cobb who actually developed the Reveal S for Conde. Super nice guy but that is not the point. I specifically asked him about several of the issues people are talking about on this thread. I have personally not bitten the bullet yet but after what I saw today I will most likely get some to try.

So first, he printed and pressed a sample while I was there. I am probably not the best judge of 'hand' and have never seen a JPSS transferred shirt to compare to but I didn't personally feel that it was too heavy. James said that too much ink can cause many issues and the best indicator is if the print comes out of the printer still wet it is too much ink. He repeated this several times and I was the only one talking to him at the time so I can only imagine that this is REALLY important. I didn't ask specifically about the 'heavy hand' because it just didn't feel that heavy to me compared to some of the other transferred shirts I put my hands on throughout the expo.

About the cracking. He said that it should not crack if you wait at least 24 hours and then wash the shirt. this is another point he mentioned several times. He said that the bonding is still happening even beyond the 24 hour mark but their testing showed 24 hours to be adequate in most cases. He said if you wash after 24 hours you should be able to stretch as much as you want. He did specifically say that too much ink can cause cracking.

He said they are working to refine their settings specifically for Cobra inks because he knows a lot of people are using Cobra so it might take a little longer to perfect settings that work with their inks.

If I can remember anything else I will add later but overall I was pretty impressed. For those of you that haven't tried it yet realize that it is a new product and maybe their test market wasn't broad enough but they are working on the issues.

Here is my take in the end: If it has the same feel as other products on the market it has a distinct advantage over the ones I know about. It is a one step process. No sheet A applied to sheet B press for x seconds remove sheet A etc..... or no cutting after printing. Overall a whole lot cleaner workflow and less chance of problems because it's a single step process. There probably are one step processes for light color transfers I just don't know about so I might be wrong about this being an advantage but I know that JPSS requires a cut and weed. I agree that the cost is a bit high and I hope to see that come down but I think it is still worth a trial for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I got my 10 sheet pack yesterday and took a stab at it today.

Before I did anything I verified my press temp. It was actually about 20 degrees high so I adjusted down to 385 (365 on the readout).

I bought some 100% cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby to test on. I knew it wasn't gong to be a perfect reflection of what I saw on a t-shirt but it sure is a whole lot cheaper to test with considering the paper is already so steep.

I first tried to press a color chart. It didn't release for crap. I didn't expect it to be perfect but it was hot mess. So I moved from there to a Voltron logo. I want one on a shirt for myself and thought the colors are nice and vivid so it should work well. Not so much.

The blue at the bottom and the red at the top transferred extremely well. Very bright and vivid colors. It also transferred the thin black border which actually surprised me. Where it failed was in the yellow in the center of the logo. It fades out some but there is always some color. It is a bit of a gradient and I know they recommend avoiding them but I had to try it.

I think I am just not laying down enough ink in that area to force the emulsion to release. I quit for the night as I have been through 3.5 of my 10 sheets. I tried a couple of different time and temp settings. I will say that 20 degrees lower was horrible but 20 degrees higher had no impact at all.

Overall I am very impressed with the parts that actually transferred. The colors look fantastic and I was getting no cracking even when I stretched it within just a few minutes of pressing. I can see that too much ink might be causing that issue. So what am I going to do? lay down more ink. I am going to change my printer settings to a different paper setting and see if I can get a little more ink to lay down. For all the griping I have done about not needing a RIP, if I had a RIP, I could probably increase the yellow a bit and be in business :)

If it wasn't a gradient throughout, I would just darken up the yellow bit some and that would work but there is no feasible way to do that.

I'll will update tomorrow after some more testing. If anyone is curious, I am using Chinese inks with a Cobra profile on an Epson R1400.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I have continued to try this paper with less than perfect results. To recap, I had purchased some 100% cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby to test on. The darker colors transferred extremely well. The lighter colors not so much. So I though, there is not enough ink being laid down to activate the emulsion. I did a couple of trials like turning off high speed printing which laid down more ink. Absolutely the same results.

Because I was curious, I took the last half sheet I had available and pressed it onto a Gildan shirt I had lying around. The results were horrible. Now it was a dark shirt so I didn't expect to be able to see the design but I still expected it to transfer under identical parameters but it didn't. This sucks because if I decide to stick with solid darker colors and use this paper, I had hoped that my cheap learning method of using the fabric would prove out the settings so I wouldn't have to waste shirts. Not so much. I get that the plain fabric has a tighter weave but the results shouldn't have been that different in my opinion.

I gave up at that point because I was frustrated. That was last weekend I think and I have not tried since. I have 5 sheets left to do more tests. I am probably going to go down to 1/4 sheet trials so I can get the most out of it before I run out. This is tough at over $2.00 a sheet.

My next trial is going to be with a different image on a regular shirt. I will use a white shirt this time so I can duplicate what I saw them do at ISS Nashville.

Depending on the results of my next test, I think I am going to have to try one of the powder coat options out there. I am curious to see the difference. It is also much cheaper.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Andre, I will post tomorrow. I haven't taken any and my lighting sucks but here is what I am trying to press. That whole middle yellow stripe will not release except on the far right (left in the image) every time. Ironically the really thin black line does release and the other colors look awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
David, I will email you the image tomorrow.

I am really curious about the Cobra settings. Both here and other places, every failure I've seen is with the Epson and other inks. Every success, this includes full color picture transfers, have been with Ricoh SG inks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a picture of the press. They are pretty much all coming out this way. I tried changing temp and time over 8 different attempts. All with identical results except for when I went too low on temp then it almost all failed.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
After the problems I have had, I sent the image to David. A couple days later, I got a call from one of their tech guys. He told me to change a couple of things and all should be well.

For me personally it actually made things worse so I have simply given up and decided that it was not meant to be.

But if you already have the paper then set your rendering intent to Saturation and press at 375 for 18 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.