T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was told there is a rough %10 rule. In other words, as long as the design/picture is altered then you are safe from infringement. For example, I've seen someone here use the yoo-hoo logo altered. Also, tons of people sell Bob Marley, Bob Dylan T-shirts. And at Palmer Cash site, I think he stole/borrowed something from Napoleon Dynamite. Point is, it seems extremely hard for anyone to actually get in trouble, I may be wrong. Do you guys no of any personal instances of someone being sued?

"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's like deja vu... all over again. This is verbatim out of a cease and desist I am holding in my hand from Burger King...

The deceptive and misleading use of another party's marks, or confusingly similar marks, in a manner likely to confuse consumers violates Sections 32 and 43(a) of the Federal Lanham Act, as well as state trademark laws.

This order came as a result of our "Beaver King" treatment of the Burger King logo.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The 10% rule applies mostly to how much copyrighted material an educational institution can reproduce without paying licensing fees (i.e. less than 10%). It possibly also comes into play with things like how much a review can quote, how much an academic essay can reference, etc.

It does not apply in this situation in any way, shape or form.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts