T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Basically a question as to which is the easiest way to remove a backround in Photoshop, do i use background eraser tool, magnetic lasso,pen tool or are there any others ?( i've 30 day trial version ). Also, how do i then place the image onto the t-shirt template so that i can send to the web men? ( very basic i'm sure,but i am a very basic complete novice)

One final question, is Paint shop pro a better bet for the novice ? I'm picking things up with tutorials etc just thought i'd use the forum to ask the experts

Many thanks
BigNumpt

·
Registered
34 Posts
BIGNUMPT said:
Hello all,

Basically a question as to which is the easiest way to remove a backround in Photoshop, do i use background eraser tool, magnetic lasso,pen tool or are there any others ?( i've 30 day trial version ). Also, how do i then place the image onto the t-shirt template so that i can send to the web men? ( very basic i'm sure,but i am a very basic complete novice)

One final question, is Paint shop pro a better bet for the novice ? I'm picking things up with tutorials etc just thought i'd use the forum to ask the experts

Many thanks
BigNumpt
Ah, the golden PS question "how do you remove the background". :)

PS is a huge program and there are often many different ways to do the same task. Like maoboyblue asked, if would help greatly if we could see the image first. But here are some of the standard ways:

Pen tool - Learn it and love it. It's a bit tricky to learn, but once you know it your work will improve greatly.
Brush - Paint the background away with the brush tool while in mask mode.
Magic Wand - Lazy man tool, that sometimes works fine.
Extract Filter - I think it's only in PS CS2, but it does a GREAT job on many complex images.

Remember to work in mask mode instead of regular mode, so you are free to make mistakes without ruining your image.

Again, it really depends on the image, version of PS and your skill level.

Forget about Paint Shop, learn to love PS and while you are at it, learn Illustrator. :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Get you a good PS book and it will tell you all you need to know. I use the background eraser.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are 2 ways to do it.

1) Use layer mask: click on the "add layer mask" icon at the bottom of "Layer" window. Set your foreground color to black and erase the background of your picture by slowing painitng on it.

2) Use Pen tool: select pen tool and slowly path the background out of your picture. After that, click on the "path" window and make the selection. Erase it. ( Edit -> Clear).

These are the 2 sure-win options I use for my designs. Don't use the Magic Wand tool. It never works...there'll always be areas not selected.

After you're done, save your file into a JPEG file, attach to your email and send it out.

Hope this help!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you able to save the T-shirt template pic as a jpeg or gif? If so, you can open it up in photoshop and you don't really need to extract anything at all... you can just put your logo image in a separate layer on top of it.

By holding control and selecting your logo layer, from your logo file, you can copy and paste it into your T-shirt template file as a separate layer. From there you can manipulate your logo layer to fit onto your T-shirt pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts