T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if you select a category of t-shirts to compete in that already has lots of t-shirts available that have gorgeous, full color silk screened artwork made from full-blown, high quality paintings? And all you have available is relatively simple cut vinyl and heat press designs? Should you decide not to compete in that category? For example, the category of animal t-shirts is like that.

When you compete in the category of funny t-shirts, the art isn't critical and you can even have text-only t-shirts that sell well.

I have some art training and experience, but it'd take me probably at least a month to just make one very nice looking painting. Where do these t-shirt companies get all their nice artwork?

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I were you I'd really try to do something in that market but tweak the art to make it your own rather than just doing the whole "painting" thing. I think the more you blend in to everyone else's designs the more you won't stand out.

As far as where they get their art, could be a lot of placed. There are tons of companies out there that only sell art for t-shirts...much like a stock photography site where people can license and resell these designs. Another way is just having an art staff, but I'm guessing it's probably the former rather than the latter.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hi Richard, the thing you have to remember is that not all customers like the same thing.

So if the animal category is filled with full color artwork, your niche could be simple, one color animal drawings.

When throwing your hat in the ring with the competition, you don't always have to out do your competition, you sometimes just have to distinguish yourself apart from them in a unique way that stands out and is desirable.

·
Registered
950 Posts
All of the advice above is very good. It is the different item that catches the eye of a buyer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts