T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have someone interested in my designs but I'm just starting out and have no idea what to charge.
Should I be charging by design or how would a royalty type of arrangement work gettin X amount per shirt sold.

Any ideas or past experience would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A royalty would probably be in your best interest… but no idea as to a percentage? Then it gets’ into the whole “proof of sales” issue.

I’ve approached a few designers on a royalty basis… and most just want to take the money and run. That’s cool with me because in all cases they would have made more via the royalty route.

·
Registered
304 Posts
For some artist I have paid $250 flat out.
With designs that I really want I pay $250 up front and then $5 per shirt after they are sold.

I print only 50 to 100 tees per design so the artist doesn't really worry about the roylalty. They know that once the tee is taken off of the site it's sold out.

·
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You have made some graphic designs and someone else want to purchase them, put them on shirts, and sell them?

I will take it that your answer is yes and go from there. Correct me if I am wrong.

This will depend on what you think your designs are worth, first of all and what they are willing to pay for them.

Just starting out, royalties are pretty rare and also hard to keep track of. So you must consider that they are going to want to come out of this the cheapest and least complicated way they can, which is probably a one time fee to purchase your designs outright.

Have you thought about having your designs put on shirts yourself. There's more grunt work, but there's quite a few of us here that find it rewarding. Also, you get to keep the money and don't have to worry about royalties and everything that goes with it.

Depending on how hands on you want to be there are several options available to you if you wanted to sell shirts with your designs yourself.

Back to your question. If you still decided to go the route of selling your designs, I would strongly suggest selling them outright. How would you know how many shirts were sold in order to get your cut, if you did it on a royalty basis? There's just too many problems and too much hassle doing it that way IMO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Design royalties for t-shirts... I have some designer friends who work in the professional end (Fruit of the Loom, Abercrombie, VeggieTales, etc.) and they all agree that, if you're freelancing in the big leagues, a 10-12% royalty is about the tops a really good designer is going to get (if he's going to get one at all). Usually, the client is going to want a complete buy-out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts