T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here they are the anticipated first 3 lol.

btw this is my second day here :rolleyes:

Any comments , suggestions, praises welcome :)

for the help what do I save these designs as and what size etc?

thanks

joe

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
It gets to the point I believe that "funny sayings" start not to be funny anymore. When you keep seeing the same thing over and over again. The shirts that are seen more often are the design shirts, something original. I visited a new tee shop near me yesterday and was floored with all the tees they had that were in fact designs.. not one funny saying on any of the shirts. The owner told me he did a lot of research and carries upscale shirts that are sold in boutiques in LA and New York and what the kids are buying. All the shirts were unique and different.He knew his business. I see so many come here and start showing their "wares" and how they are going to become king of the biz.. When in fact they don't have a clue about being in business. It is nice that you have a picture or a few of them but that is not going to make it. I love to assist people in business and have for many years. I love to give out information that is stored in my brain that may help others. Ok going for second cup of coffee..

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
:moved to the Site Reviews - Design Reviews forum:

I see so many come here and start showing their "wares" and how they are going to become king of the biz.. When in fact they don't have a clue about being in business. It is nice that you have a picture or a few of them but that is not going to make it. I love to assist people in business and have for many years. I love to give out information that is stored in my brain that may help others. Ok going for second cup of coffee..
I'll buy you that 3rd cup of coffee, Lou :) Maybe with a shot of whiskey in it :)

Seriously though, I think we can learn things from people that are new to the business and forum (maybe just from the questions they ask -- or from their fresh look at things) and we can learn from those with 50 years in the business who take time to share their experience. Nobody knows everything about this stuff :)

Any comments , suggestions, praises welcome for the help what do I save these designs as and what size etc?
I still think there is a market for t-shirts with funny sayings. My wife and I were just commenting on a t-shirt we saw on a teenager this weekend that was similar to the second design you have there (except his said stop looking at me in font that made you look at him...we laughed).

I do agree that the designs need to be more original. When you are starting out with your initial designs, you need designs that people have never seen before to help yourself stand out.

As far as which file format to save the designs in, that would be a question to ask your screen printer. Each screen printer is a bit different and they will tell you which file format they prefer.

·
2,957 Posts
Wow! That was a few Badalouisms thrown together and stuffed down the throat!

Lou, I don’t think the guy you are referring to meant any harm. I’m sure there are a some people here that he can help. Lots of people on the forums have asked how to get their shirts in retail stores, and he’s been successful in doing that, and is willing to share his knowledge.

He has also been to a couple of trade shows, and I know that has been a topic on the forums as well.

On another note, I think there is a market for just about anything somebody to come up with. I have a saying when I see something that I just don’t get, or something somebody does that doesn’t make much sense to me: “It takes all kinds!” I know I’m not the first to say it, but I say it a lot, so I’m claiming part ownership. But what I really think about is how that relates to the business we are in. There are so many people in this world that if you make something, no matter how far out there, or how crazy somebody might think it is, or in this case, how overdone somebody might feel it is, there is a good chance that there will be enough people in the world, that they can keep you in business, if they know you exist. (please excuse the run-on sentence!)

Is funny text shirts overdone? Maybe. Is there room for more funny text shirts? Probably. As long as there are people that like that sort of thing, there will always be room for more.

Now, being able to be found in the sea of funny text-based t-shirt companies is definitely a challenge. But that doesn’t mean that those who choose to offer that product just shouldn’t do it. I don’t even think they need to necessarily stand out to be found. Especially with the internet being available as a retail source. The small guy can look just large the large company.

Funny text-based shirts aren’t going anywhere. There will always be buyers, and there will always be sellers. If someone doesn’t happen to like them, or don’t think they’re funny, that’s their prerogative. But if someone had good marketing they could be just as successful at it as the big guys.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
There are so many people in this world that if you make something, no matter how far out there, or how crazy somebody might think it is, or in this case, how overdone somebody might feel it is, there is a good chance that there will be enough people in the world, that they can keep you in business, if they know you exist. (please excuse the run-on sentence!)
I've been saying that for years :) Especially with the internet and being able to reach a global audience.

I learned that something that might be just funny to you can be funny to 1000's of other people...you just have to know how to reach them.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Ok, I am better I had the third cup of coffee.. Sure we are all here to learn even an old guy like me.. If I offended any of you then you learned something, that means you read what I wrote and said how dare he put down my stuff. But, and there is always a but, he asked. Not to say what he has or anyone has will not sell.. I have a lot that does not sell. But if I really put it out there and say.. go back to the drawing board and do more research maybe he will just do that and come up with some great stuff.. and that is what I am after.. maybe if everyone gives compliments here they will just go on their way and never grow. This is a forum here and I really think that sometimes you need to be honest with people.. I think people need to be pushed sometimes to grow and learn. And with that most of you know me and I have had phone calls and emails up the yeng yang about getting help. maybe I am hard.. but I will alway be honest. "Badalouisms" wow now I have a moniker.. (He has also been to a couple of trade shows, .) That makes me feel better.. want to compare? and a special note to Joemeka, sorry if I was hard on you. Most of the time I am a softer sweeter guy.. but only after the 3rd cup of coffee.. Funny note to that.. when I was Chief of Service for the VA Hospital in Los Angels for retail and restaurants I had my own Starbucks cart in my cafeteria.. I also had 6 assistants. As they came in the morning each would bring me a cup of coffee.. AHH do I miss that..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
badalou said:
It gets to the point I believe that "funny sayings" start not to be funny anymore. When you keep seeing the same thing over and over again. The shirts that are seen more often are the design shirts, something original. I visited a new tee shop near me yesterday and was floored with all the tees they had that were in fact designs.. not one funny saying on any of the shirts. The owner told me he did a lot of research and carries upscale shirts that are sold in boutiques in LA and New York and what the kids are buying. All the shirts were unique and different.He knew his business. I see so many come here and start showing their "wares" and how they are going to become king of the biz.. When in fact they don't have a clue about being in business. It is nice that you have a picture or a few of them but that is not going to make it. I love to assist people in business and have for many years. I love to give out information that is stored in my brain that may help others. Ok going for second cup of coffee..
Ha, thanks for you comments. Maybe you should make funny t-shirts you sure have the attitude for it. No problem I can take comments and suggestions but I feel what you have said was not really helping me be better at making nor selling shirts. You have just said funny shirts are overdone not commenting specifically on my shirts. I understand this is your opinion. Also, I never said I was going to be king of this biz you just jumped on me when I was trying to contribute what I have been doing. Saying you love to assist people? Please assist me, tell me how I can make the shirts better or what I need to change not just they suck and they nor I won't make it. Furthermore, I am 19 years old and I feel this shirts will sell you may have been in business longer but I am not selling to the 40-50 year olds I am selling to peers my age at college or in my neighborhood. Even if these aren't the best shirts nor design from my status I feel it really doesn't matter that is only part of the battle. With me selling and marketing them they will sell, period! I have been in the online business for years now and definatelly not new to selling things. Thanks for the comments.

Joe

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Ok guys, let's take a step back and remember that we're here to help each other. Try to take a breath and try to make sure your comments come off that way :)

tell me how I can make the shirts better or what I need to change not just they suck and they nor I won't make it
I think you got that from other posters in this thread, but you make a good point. Let's make sure we are giving "contructive" critisism. Not all comments have to be positive, but if there is room for improvement, try to explain how.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Yep I was hard on you.. First I never said they sucked.. just over done.. And I was not referring to you as the king of tees, that was aimed elsewhere. I know the market your going after. That is the market out there, big time, young adults, teens.. And I hope you get there. Ok now for some suggestions.your pictures were not actual tees and really were same old stuff. I truly believe there is a market out there for that kind of stuff but I think you need to come up with something new, set the pace. Also I would make it smaller. have you actually made the shirts. Do you have or are you going to have a website. What is your marketing plan. Are you going to just do this on the web?, cafepress type store, ebay. I run a marketing company and I sell to stores both tee shirts and tote bags. I operate 4 different webs and I know how hard it is for new comers.. and bless you at 19 you have the right attitude about wanting to get into business. All my life I have had young people working for me and I really appreciated when they showed innovation about the business. If you stay the course about being business minded that is great but if you design a product that doesn't sell and you give up because you didn't listen to people out there who offer you help and advice and yes not very nicely as mine seemed to be.. slap, slap... it was my mistake to not do that in the first place. and I am sorry.. yeah I only had one cup of coffee. Believe me I will to help and make comments.. but I will be honest.. Go get'em

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice to meet you badalou. :) Nope havnt got to print them yet, order supplies sometime yesterday. I took all the comments in this thread and sent them to the person who made those designs for me. As for selling I planned it mainly in the real world but since I have done and started online I will see it necessary to make a shop with oscommerce since I have used it before and can edit php very well. Another dilemma I was having was the name for the website etc. I was planning on having it be something kids would remember but even want to have small maybe on the top backs of their shirts. If I could figure out the write name and design a good enough logo I feel it would be a hit. I have been pondering this and came up with crappy stuff I felt. What you all think of attitude twist. Thanks again for coming back and replying what you did. It takes a real man to do that. again, nice to meet you.

joe

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I like the idea of the logo on the back. I have sen this on some quality shirts.I started reading about PHP and got lost.. I do websites the old fashioned way.. which is not as nice as some of the stuff I seen using php.. I also was working with ecommerce but gave it up and went to paypal.. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.. names of sites are hard.. My wife and I sat in a restaurant for 2 hours one night to come up with a name for one of my sites, I have 4.. we came up with 20.. 19 were taken.. yuck.. not easy.. It has to stick in their minds.. not too long, hard to remember.. look what yahoo and google have done.. stuped names run by smart people. And it is nice to meet you. Just sit back, don't rush and plan.. My best plans come when I sleep. I wake up and write it down.. Lou

1 - 15 of 15 Posts