T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quick question for all you experts out there. I'm getting some tees manufactured and opted for 220gsm for some heavyweight tees. Once I received the samples I found out that the cotton used was knitted using carded cotton yarn and that 220gsm didn't deliver the heavyweight feel and thickness I was expecting.

So now after doing a bit of research I am in talks to have the tees manufactured using 240gsm combed cotton. I was wondering if anyone can advise whether 240gsm combed cotton would deliver a more thicker tee than one made of carded cotton at 240gsm.

I guess the question I'm asking is which one out of carded and combed cotton would deliver a thicker fabric at the same weight?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi,

Actually, the cotton of combed or carded in same GSM will not affect the thickness too much, since the combed cotton is fine yarn with longer fiber weaved, so the texture will be more smooth and comfortable than carded cotton, therefore, when you touch them, the combed cotton will feel much thinner than carded cotton.

Meanwhile, most of cotton fabrics will send for regular water wash to get a better soft hand feel, if you want the fabric to be felt more wearable, and coarse, then no need to do any wash, otherwise, to get semi-combed cotton fabric, 240gsm will be a good choice, it is a heavy weight fabric, and suit to make a t-shirt wear in Winter.

Consider for customers, it will be better to choose combed cotton, more comforable, more wearable, of course cost more.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Actually, the cotton of combed or carded in same GSM will not affect the thickness too much, since the combed cotton is fine yarn with longer fiber weaved, so the texture will be more smooth and comfortable than carded cotton, therefore, when you touch them, the combed cotton will feel much thinner than carded cotton.

Meanwhile, most of cotton fabrics will send for regular water wash to get a better soft hand feel, if you want the fabric to be felt more wearable, and coarse, then no need to do any wash, otherwise, to get semi-combed cotton fabric, 240gsm will be a good choice, it is a heavy weight fabric, and suit to make a t-shirt wear in Winter.

Consider for customers, it will be better to choose combed cotton, more comforable, more wearable, of course cost more.

Bill
Hi michellefanfan, thanks for your advice. I've actually now gone with 260gsm combed cotton, I think it's ringspun as well. Is that just overkill or is that okay for premium quality urbanwear do you think. Anyone else willing to put their two cents in? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
968 Posts
hi friend,

glad to help, 260gsm is a little heavy, can take them as sweat shirt to wear. I seldom see premium quality choose such heavy weight fabric to do. Like you said, just pay a few more penny, i think it will be worth if more people like to buy for a heavier fabric t-shirt.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.