T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Calling all Kornit DTG workflow owners and experts out there.

I’m new to this forum, however, well versed in digital print for all mediums for over 15yrs now. I recently started a little POD T-Shirt business (bit of lockdown fun) working with a facility near to my hometown in UK and apart from loving designing my shirts, my natural sway was to try and ensure a good colour representation from the facilities digital output, giving both myself and my customers a good likeness of final product. It’s an obsession which I’m sure you all can relate too.

I communicated with this company on several occasions looking to set up a non colour managed print workflow on their end and print a profile target on a white based dark tee, with a view to me reading in at home here with my i1Pro3 plus. This should give me a good enough soft proof profile to work with in my design program and get closest output and mock up possible. The company unfortunately did not want to go this in-depth with me.

So, I went ahead and printed a small 855 chip RGB target onto a t shirt. The company, as do most, insist on receiving a 300dpi RGB png, which they say is converted to CMYK colourspace before printing. I have suspicions that their terminology is incorrect. Just because the printer itself uses CMYK the image itself is not necessarily being converted In such a way. Could still be RGB.

Anyway, I’m looking for advice on how best to set up and save my artworks in order to colour convert correctly if anyone has had experience of such a third party workflow?

It may also be that their set up is not properly calibrated and therefore will not convert colour values accurately, in which case I am playing blind anyway.

I hope the above makes sense and I appreciate your time.

regards
Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Everyone,

Calling all Kornit DTG workflow owners and experts out there.

I’m new to this forum, however, well versed in digital print for all mediums for over 15yrs now. I recently started a little POD T-Shirt business (bit of lockdown fun) working with a facility near to my hometown in UK and apart from loving designing my shirts, my natural sway was to try and ensure a good colour representation from the facilities digital output, giving both myself and my customers a good likeness of final product. It’s an obsession which I’m sure you all can relate too.

I communicated with this company on several occasions looking to set up a non colour managed print workflow on their end and print a profile target on a white based dark tee, with a view to me reading in at home here with my i1Pro3 plus. This should give me a good enough soft proof profile to work with in my design program and get closest output and mock up possible. The company unfortunately did not want to go this in-depth with me.

So, I went ahead and printed a small 855 chip RGB target onto a t shirt. The company, as do most, insist on receiving a 300dpi RGB png, which they say is converted to CMYK colourspace before printing. I have suspicions that their terminology is incorrect. Just because the printer itself uses CMYK the image itself is not necessarily being converted In such a way. Could still be RGB.

Anyway, I’m looking for advice on how best to set up and save my artworks in order to colour convert correctly if anyone has had experience of such a third party workflow?

It may also be that their set up is not properly calibrated and therefore will not convert colour values accurately, in which case I am playing blind anyway.

I hope the above makes sense and I appreciate your time.

regards
Nick
Sorry I forgot to mention they insist I work in sRGB workspace which seems flawed to me anyway, the main reason I wanted a profile for myself of the output.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Nick, I'm not an expert but we have a Storm HD6 and we create a our art in rgb color space and use attached profile that Kornit gave us to save it as a png file. I believe the rip converts it to cmyk but I'm not 100% sure.
* the forum won't let me attach the file but it's the GRACol2006_Coated1v2 profile*

Color accuracy can be tough though as on anything but white tees you're usually not getting a 100% opaque white base layer so the shirt will definitely tint your color a bit. Even on white shirts we see variations as the white point of the shirts can be all over the place even within a specific brand and style of shirt.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in but in general I don't think you're going to be able to find a way to color match or print with perfect consistency on the Kornit system. Even day to day sometimes we'll see changes in color. It's no different than other DTG printers though and overall it's a pretty good system all things considered. The company you're working with probably doesn't want to do the white target as they aren't sure that they can stay consistent enough to make it work. We've thought about doing that as well with our x-rite but I doubt that it would work well enough to make it consistent. We could do it on our solvent printer and print color accurate vinyl prints if we really had too.

Tai

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tai,

Thank you so much for your reply. Didn't think anybody would.

Yep I hear all that you have said and I also spoke a couple of days back to them again. They echoed the inconsistences between white base thickness on even different colours of the same t-shirt style, so yes, I cannot expect ultimate consistency, however, I wanna try and get ballpark accuracy, which helps me reclour designs with no really nasty surprises. I reviewed the sample tees I have had done over the last few months (which vary in the tee colour) against the soft proof effect I am getting off my RGB icc I created sending a target through their workflow. The actual simualtion on my screen (all be it a little desaturated) is not too bad. I have ordered some more samples after recolouring using my soft proof profile I created, so we will see how these turn out (again on various colours of tee).

Thanks for informing me about the GRACol icc, this could be integral in further investigating this whole workflow.

I will post an update soon.

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts