T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basics ;

The company I want to do business with charges extra for color seperation ,Is process color seperation better than spot color seperation. Now Ive googled both process millions of times and dont quite get how to do it myself. Also again , do you prefer RGB or CMYK to screen print on t-shirts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
With your graphics software you can do spot or process separations. If you send someone artwork that is CMYK they may charge you with a separation fee because getting that kind of print right is much more difficult than spot color. Spot color is much easier because you're not mixing colors to get the achieved look, just printing solids/and or halftones

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there a process to separate the colors out if I have a CYMK image in Photoshop or Illustrator? ....or, do I need to pay $850 for software to do it :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nope, it should automatically show up as 4 separations Cyan Magenta Yellow Black. I know it does in Corel at least, I don't print separations in Illustrator. I believe in photoshop you want to check the Channels tab.

·
Registered
81 Posts
identityburn said:
Nope, it should automatically show up as 4 separations Cyan Magenta Yellow Black. I know it does in Corel at least, I don't print separations in Illustrator. I believe in photoshop you want to check the Channels tab.
Thanks....but I saw this thing on the web. What is this, and why would i need it if i can already separate the CMKY layers on my photoshop (i knew that, i just thought for some reasson i would need something like this)??

thanks
http://www.secondglance.com/products/photospot/sales/photospot.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll chime in as I've have many years experience do high-end seps for VF imageware largest apparel manufacturer in the world.

Doing seps right is a science in it's self. There are many programs out there I would advise for beginners. But even experienced sep'ers have to tweek seps made from those programs.

To answer your questions, RGB is better in Photoshop than CMYK.

Process seps in general are difficult and they is little room for error. The main reason ppl use them is to cut down on colors. But you can't just print out the CMYKs you see in the print dialog box and expect to get good results. They have to mix right and the order in which you print needs to be perfect. Certain color shirts make things even MORE difficult.

IMO, i'd just pay them to do the seps. Unless you have a burning desire to go through the trial and error yourself. Or you could by a sep program and do it yourself.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts