T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have tried separating this image and burned multiple screens and seem to be stuck. How would you separate this image? I tried a light gray, dark gray, and black which didn't turn out the way I wanted it. Looks so simple and yet is giving us so many problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent you the image! Thanks for your help! We did try this as one ink and it completely flooded all of the halftones leaving the print unrecognizable. Man I miss the easy 3-4 color jobs. These halftone prints make me want to smack my head against a wall.

I did notice that my squeegee angle affected the print significantly. Our first test was with a 600 DPI halftone at 87 LPI and angle of 45 degrees. I have seen some conflicting info on LPI on a few different threads so correct me if I'm wrong. We were going to print this with a 305 mesh so 305/3.5 = 87 LPI? Too High?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sent you the image! Thanks for your help! We did try this as one ink and it completely flooded all of the halftones leaving the print unrecognizable. Man I miss the easy 3-4 color jobs. These halftone prints make me want to smack my head against a wall.

I did notice that my squeegee angle affected the print significantly. Our first test was with a 600 DPI halftone at 87 LPI and angle of 45 degrees. I have seen some conflicting info on LPI on a few different threads so correct me if I'm wrong. We were going to print this with a 305 mesh so 305/3.5 = 87 LPI? Too High?
Are you running it on a auto? I would run this on a 230, 45 lpi 25 angle.
I cant open the file it is compressed so open it and save it uncompressed and send it back to me with the font files.

How many shirts are you going to run, what kind of ink also?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
What color shirt? What you really need to do is print it as a simulated process job with black, and probably 2 shades of gray ink. If it's on a dark shirt you'd have to add white as an underbase and maybe even a highlight white. Your lpi should be around 55 - 60 through a 305. Actually, the hardest thing to print in that design is the drop shadow.
Although this looks like a simple "black and white" halftone job, trying to hold all those tones is really tough with one color, as you've found out. A lot of times I'll use gray ink for text or even blocks of tone that will look crappy as halftones, and a separate black screen for large flat areas of black so I don't plug up the halftone areas.
If you don't do simulated process work, you might want to employ the services of a good separator who can give you a file that will do the job up right. I've seen some "black and white" prints such as your done with black, white, and several gray inks that are stunning, whereas a straight black ink halftone looks like a crappy newspaper photo.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
i agree, simulated process would be the ideal way to sep this job. index would be another option but not ideal do to the smooth gradients (looks like a 3d rendering.. often this means there's visible banding that will be pronounced with an index separation)

this could be broken down to as few as 4 colors for a really nice print (black, dk.gray, mid gray and highlight white). an underbase would be needed for dark grounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts