T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am desperately trying to find some online site/tool to help make color separations easier. i'm doing spot color separation. i have a guy doing some art work for me and it just seems to take me a LONG time to separate all the colors out and trying to figure out what goes where and such. i just need some help w/out buying some expensive program. any insige would be much appreciated! thanks
brandon

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
if you are only sepping spot colors with no gradients..then I would use the magic wand tool...select the first color which will create a selection around only the color selected then make a new layer and fill it with the color selected..or press cntrl + j which will put everything selected onto its own layer...continue until all the colors are done......

Inked

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
For a great tutorial on basic sepping spot colors, buy Ryonet's (silkscreeningsupplies.com) 'Printing 101" (I think that's the title...) It's over three hours and really good info all for around $50.

Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you're just doing simple spot color separations, you should be able to print out from Illustrator or Corel no problem. If all you have is Photoshop, Inked's suggestion seems to work the easiest. I would recommend taking a look at the tutorial Denise mentioned from Ryonet, as well, and you should be able to get a better handle on how long things should take. You may want to ask your guy what his process is, maybe he's doing it some old-school way?

Fast Films is a good color separation program IF you have complicated photo and full color process work that you'd like to do. A cheaper alternative to it is a program called QuikSeps. It's about half the price, and IMO, is better.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I meant to add that in the Ryonet video they're showing the spot color sep using Photoshop.
And, I agree with Ann about QuikSeps Pro. It's fantastic!
That's what I use :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts