T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
quick question want to no if i can do color seps with vectors
in illustrator!ive got an epson r285 printer but will be upgrading soon to a epson 1400!is it possible to to the seps using the epson r285 printer!im new to all this

thanks for looking in :)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You can do most separations with vector art straight in the vector app, the only seps you can't really do is Index and Simulated process (ok, yes you can do simulated process with vector but it can be very challenging, easier to export to photoshop)

The epson printer would be used to out put the separations on transparent film but i don't know much about these printers or if the one you have would work well for this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i dont think i can output with this printer!will need to wait till next week as will be geting an epson 1400

cheers

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
You can print line art directly. You will have to manually separate each color into a separate file, color all fills and strokes as black, and ideally have registration marks if registration is tight on each file. You'll have to add your own marks.

If you're dealing with halftones, or if you simply want to separated directly out of illustrator (or photoshop, for that matter) you can use Ghostscript and Ghostview to output your files with all the postscript material to any inkjet printer. The learning curve is sometimes a little frustrating, but it works, and it's free.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Set each color as a spot color, install a pdf printer like CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily. and in the print settings select it as your printer and go the output section and change composite to separations, press print and a file save dialogue box will appear to create your pdf, this pdf will have a page for each separated color, open the pdf in a pdf reader and print the separations

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Set each color as a spot color, install a pdf printer like CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily. and in the print settings select it as your printer and go the output section and change composite to separations, press print and a file save dialogue box will appear to create your pdf, this pdf will have a page for each separated color, open the pdf in a pdf reader and print the separations
Only thing I'd add would be that PDFCreator (free, open source) is very good. It will print some things that my Adobe Acrobat Pro v9 struggles with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts