T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not a designer or a printer. i just often get asked to make tshirts for people.

so, when i finish with my design, who should take care of the color separations? me? or the printer?

i have only done a few designs with my current printer, but the last design, he asked me to do the color separations.

i would think this was something he would do?

what do you all think?

·
Registered
192 Posts
A good printer will want to do his own seperations, so that he can make sure it is done right the first time. A mediocre printer will want someone else to do it because he either doesn't know how to do it correctly, or he doesn't care enough about the quality of the product he puts out.

I personally can't see me ever asking someone that says they are neither a printer or a designer to do seperations for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also should add that if you are not a printer, nor a designer, it maybe that you don't know how to properly build designs for easy seperations, and therefore he has no idea how to seperate your work. You would be amazed at some of the stuff people bring in to t-shirt shop and claim as artwork.

·
Registered
285 Posts
want me to send you my file and you can tell me if it is proper "artwork" or not?
Just post a picture of it. We can tell you if it's good enough to be separated by even a semi-decent printer.

A lot of printers outsource their separations and screen burning since they don't have the capabilities or know-how to output their own films and shoot their own screens. This doesn't make them any less capable as a screen printer when it comes to printing the actual shirts but it does limit them on what artwork they can accept since they may be charged more for shoddy artwork.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The printer probably works in vector mostly..alot of them do. So separating in PS is like doing brain surgery for those types. Even with that, if the art is clean and at a high dpi, he could run that through AI's tracing program and it would spit out the vector replication and then separate. Kind of a head scratcher as to why he would want you to do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i think that is the reason AI vs. PS.

so would it be better if i just go ahead and do it?

he is, shall we say, not from around here, so he is a little difficult to communicate with.

might be easier to go ahead and do the seps myself.

when i do them, i don't add (or subtract) the 2 pixels (choke?). i guess he does because the shirts come out looking good.

: )

·
Registered
192 Posts
You should be safe by trapping (expanding) the black by a couple pixels. But that is going to depend on the printer and their equipment and capabilities. IF he has crappy equipment thats not precise, he made need more...it really depends on the printer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gaaah!

i sent my artwork to this guy and i still don't have a proof!!

is there anything i can tell him that would help him?

i sent him 7 files (3 for the front and 4 for the back) and i am running out of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts