T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've been trying it on illustrator, following the steps i found on this forum and other sites, but something is wrong!

my steps:
file>print
printer set to adobe postscript file
in output dialog, i cant choose anything here, im suppose to be able to pull down the mode menu and choose separation :(

what went wrong here? i am guessing i dont have a ppd file? because im not attached to any printer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, you would have more printing options with a printer connected along with printer software installed.
hey thanks for ur quick reply! more questions....
if im preparing files for film output, does that mean i need to ask for printer's ppd file? :confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, you would have more printing options with a printer connected along with printer software installed.

I actually use QuarkXpress to output my seps but all my Illustrator printing / output options are accessible.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey thanks for ur quick reply! more questions....
if im preparing files for film output, does that mean i need to ask for printer's ppd file? :confused:

You need to CHOOSE the printer you are going to output your seps to.

Those options shown on "ppd" should be the printer you are connected to along with software installed for your computer to recognize it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to CHOOSE the printer you are going to output your seps to.
right, but i dont have a printer that can output films, so i plan to send my color separation files to print place. but i couldnt output files without those options, any luck? :/

thanks again :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
right, but i dont have a printer that can output films, so i plan to send my color separation files to print place. but i couldnt output files without those options, any luck? :/

thanks again :)

You can probably output it on paper to see what the seps would look like when printed on film if you have any printer attached.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You don't actually need a printer, I do this all the time when I am trying out new things and don't want to waste toner.

When you go to print in Illustrator you see the list of print options, the setting for your separation are under the "output" menu. You choose your printer in the "general" menu, if you want to "print" a separation without a printer you can select the Adobe Acrobat or PDF setting. If you select separation host based (this creates your separation in Illustrator) Adobe Acrobat will handle the rip and deliver you a PDF file of your separation without using any paper or toner.

Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts