T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

As i see everybody use inkjet printer, and thats interesting, because here (Hungary) the laser printers are more popupar, could you help me to find out why?

In the forums the most recomended printer is Epson 1280 that is 299$ MSRP, and average ink cost is 0.50$/print.

In my country the most recommended printer is Ricoh - Aficio SP C410DN that is 1560$ MSRP, and ink cost is flat rate: 0.17$/colored A4 print, 0.02$/black A4 print. (you dont have to buy ink at all, ricoh guys are coming, and change the cartridges, do maintainance, etc for free - the service is included in the print price)

And the most popular heat transfer paper is FOREVER (http://www.forever-ots.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?lang=1)
Papers price:
FOREVER 5 STAR (for laser) = 0.72$/A4 sheet
FOREVER Ink Jet (for inkjet) = 2.1$/A4 sheet

As you see the printer itself is far more expensive than the inkjet one, but than every additional cost (paper/ink) is cheaper. About quality? I have no idea which is better, i had no chance to compare laser/inkjet print results yet. Did you?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hi,
i can tell you that digital transfer tech has bloomed in the last 10 years. We still have an old KODAK color Lazer copy machine (xerox with the Kodak name) in the back, this one cost us about $ 50k. and we used PHOTO-TRans 11X17 paper by the truck load back then.....it still works too.

Acctually, KODAK was giving away a heat press with any purchase or lease of their Lazer color copy machines at the time. This is one of the reasons why all the photo copy places that leased color lazer equip. started making custom t-shirts too..... this hurt most sectors of imprint industry and some even had to close up shop since you could go to KINKOS to make your shirts, for example.

As for jet printers, i think there are a lot of members here that use them... some one will step into this thread soon and give you more info i'm sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi Nane,

I've been doing heat transfers since 1996 and have tested all types of Laser Transfer paper. A friend i met on the net at the same time was testing inkjet transfers. We both did extensive wash tests, etc. and eventually it was determined that the "inkjet" transfers held up better "after washing".

Now she was using special archival inks not OEM inks.

Fast forward to now and people are starting to use Laser printers also for transfers as some have found transfer paper that does a good job after washing.

You will have to try different transfer papers to see what works best for you. As you said the Ricoh printers have always been recommended so you have the right equipment you just need to find a suitable transfer paper that works well. Meaning after you wash it how does it hold up. Now the manufacturer gives washing directions but most t-shirt companies say the customer will not follow those directions so they wash it in "extreme" conditions "hot water" and "hot dryer" to see how the design hold up. It's really up to you to determine what your "wash requirements" will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resoltuion:
The ricoh laser printers resolution: 1200x1200dpi, while Epson is 5760x720dpi (WTF?!?)

Colors:
I have no idea :)

Ink costs:
Correct me if im wrong, but i calculated this:
Epson 1280 uses 6colors, each cartridge cost 30$, and in average every cartridge has 10,000page lifetime at 5% coverage. I think a photo could be not 5 but 50% coverage, so 10,000pages reduced to 1000page. So... 6 cartridge = 6x30$ = 180$ divided to 1000 prints = 0.18$/page.

Druability (of the transfer):
I think i'll do some tests with 2 shirts, a black and a white one. I'll put a laser and an inkjet print on them an wash them several times at 30C degree, and not turned inside out (i was everything this was) and later i'll post my test results here. I'll be using FOREVER foils, because thats the only one that i could get at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i definately want to know how that test turns out! keep us posted. IM debating between laser and inkjet rightnow too. I need something wide, long and fast.. and ofcourse good quality!

·
Registered
153 Posts
check out www.atttransfer.com in regards to laser dye sub. It has come a long way. I currently own a Oki and i have done some inkjet in the past. The Oki is great. It does run a close 2nd behind a good inkjet. But from someone who knows nothing about tshirts, they really like the laser prints. (i tested this on my parents, they know nothing and didn't know what i was showing them, but they said they really liked it).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
RedEye said:
i tested this on my parents
No offense, but you can't really truly test anything on parents.

Whether they're prone to criticism or to praise, they're rarely objective.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Solmu said:
No offense, but you can't really truly test anything on parents.

Whether they're prone to criticism or to praise, they're rarely objective.
no offense taken...but my parents tell me how it is...if it looked like ****, they would of told me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Steve from signforums, this is taurusndixie. Say your Mom and Dad would tell you if your work looked like crap, ? That is funny. We all need parents like that.
Seriously, I don't want the quality of my shirt prints to be a close second, but the best desktop, durable print possible. But I guess in life we are always after something a little better.

Thanks for keeping us informed

·
Registered
153 Posts
taurusndixie said:
Hey Steve from signforums, this is taurusndixie. Say your Mom and Dad would tell you if your work looked like crap, ? That is funny. We all need parents like that.
Seriously, I don't want the quality of my shirt prints to be a close second, but the best desktop, durable print possible. But I guess in life we are always after something a little better.

Thanks for keeping us informed
:) yea i'm not 12 anymore....that ashtray I made is now ugly. :D

Seriously...i run alot by my parents, from logos, to tshirts designs, to decals. I should of seen how many logos i went through when i first got started that they turned their nose up at. :p

You are going to never been down with the laser. With inkjet, if you take the weekend off, you'll come in with partially clogged nozels (yes i'm exaggerating). Do you loose some quality to substitue with lower cost per transfer with great results....yes some. But just with everythign else....there are pros and there are cons to everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Inkjet Printer vs. Laser Printer

Hello,
Since you're printing in multicolor, inkjet would be a better choice for you. They have better color and are much cheaper than color lasers.

pickyguide.com/computers_and_software/inkjet_printers_guide.html
This guide can help you get started. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
check out Automatic Transfer, Inc. - Sublimation Transfer Inks and Heat Transfer Papers in regards to laser dye sub. It has come a long way. I currently own a Oki and i have done some inkjet in the past. The Oki is great. It does run a close 2nd behind a good inkjet. But from someone who knows nothing about tshirts, they really like the laser prints. (i tested this on my parents, they know nothing and didn't know what i was showing them, but they said they really liked it).
RedEye,
What type of transfer paper are you using with your Oki. Which Oki do you use for the transfers? I'm using a c7500 with techniprint paper and having a terrible time with my transfers.

Have a great day,
Sue

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm using an OKi c5600 with magictouch TTC and OBM paper.

I'm having problem with OBM papers as they leave a white outline after plotting which is very visible on black t-shirt.

This flaw is not seen on TTC with white coloured t-shirt, anyone has any experiences ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
HI i have used both inkjet and laser my printer was a Epson with Durabrite inks the prints i got out where very good, however very expensive :( i switched to OKI5600 which is none oily and Duracotton HT and not looked back :) i have done wash test and the col kept better with the laser then the epson although the epson started off a little better.Now as to my DK shirts i use Laser Opaque 1 from coastal i found them to be soft,almost no hand and wash well, colours stay bright.I wash at 30 with normal wash powder but not always inside out and dry on hot, I don't think in general the public wash very carefully either ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm using an OKi c5600 with magictouch TTC and OBM paper.

I'm having problem with OBM papers as they leave a white outline after plotting which is very visible on black t-shirt.

This flaw is not seen on TTC with white coloured t-shirt, anyone has any experiences ?
sorry i don't have a plotter i cut by hand so can make sure i have no white showing ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
HI i have used both inkjet and laser my printer was a Epson with Durabrite inks the prints i got out where very good, however very expensive :( i switched to OKI5600 which is none oily and Duracotton HT and not looked back :) i have done wash test and the col kept better with the laser then the epson although the epson started off a little better.Now as to my DK shirts i use Laser Opaque 1 from coastal i found them to be soft,almost no hand and wash well, colours stay bright.I wash at 30 with normal wash powder but not always inside out and dry on hot, I don't think in general the public wash very carefully either ;)
Do you have an issue with using Laser Opaque 1 on black t-shirt ?

The white underlining media can be seen as an outline very clearly on darker coloured t-shirt.

I was wondering how can this flaw be reduced.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you have an issue with using Laser Opaque 1 on black t-shirt ?

The white underlining media can be seen as an outline very clearly on darker coloured t-shirt.

I was wondering how can this flaw be

reduced.
I trim by hand if there is a small bit inbetween the design that needs to be trimmed i use a scarple knife to cut it away i never have trouble with the white showing :)another angle it to put it onto a coloured back ground that will blen with the design and shirt ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts