T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Questions about screen printing -- what exact image mode (RGB vs CMYK, 8bit vs 16bit) yields the most accurate colors for screenprinting? I am currently saving my files in .psd Photoshop format. Or do I provide the Pantone uncoated color code for each layer (if so, solid uncoated or process uncoated) to the screen printer? Thanks and happy new year.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Good questions giraffepolice87, hopefully we'll get an answer from our screen printing members soon.

I think overall, Pantone colors are going to give you the most accurate color matching.

·
Registered
86 Posts
giraffepolice87 said:
Hi all,
Questions about screen printing -- what exact image mode (RGB vs CMYK, 8bit vs 16bit) yields the most accurate colors for screenprinting? I am currently saving my files in .psd Photoshop format. Or do I provide the Pantone uncoated color code for each layer (if so, solid uncoated or process uncoated) to the screen printer? Thanks and happy new year.
Hi giraffepolice87, nice to meet you.

Different screen printers want all your files in different formats. I can tell you what we prefer and hopefully that will help.

The first thing we do with an RGB file is turn it into CMYK so if you want a better idea of how your file is going to look on the shirt convert it before you send it. Keep it in layers and keep it in PSD format. supplying the Pantone colors for each layer would be awesome. when you do you should supply the solid uncoated number. all of these rules change a bit if you're planning on printing process (CMYK) on dark garments. I hope this helps.

If I can be of any other service please let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello !

My screenprinter does all the work, so I don't know how to do separations. (I don't have the time really and I use Vector artwork anyway).

My guy likes Vector artwork and all I do is draw in a vector program or trace photos and send it to him.

I don't mind paying the artwork fee, you might.

Sorry I can't give you a better explanation, but I wanted to give you an alternative method :)

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Usually, I give my printer the pantone pms numbers of each color I want. If there is an issue with color or I am really wanting the color to be "just right", they will let me see them mix the inks and make sure I get "exactly" what I want. Even giving them the pms numbers doesn't always correspond to an exact match when preparing the inks.

So if you are looking for real "color accuracy", I would supply the pms numbers as triplej says, and ask if you can see the inks after they mix them to see if it is as accurate as it can be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts