T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some assistance or pushed...I have always operated on word of mouth and referrals. I work from my home and am wanting to get my name out there more and draw more business. I do shirts now for a couple of local diners, but thats not enough to sustain business. I need to know how to get over the cold calling. A new taco business opened a month or so ago and I want to approach them about doing shirts for them. I have played with their name and some designs from t express, but havnt gained the courage to go in for a cold call. Does anyone have any suggestions.

· Registered
46 Posts
You CAN do it!

Think about it, what's the worst that can happen? Answer, they could say "No." Which is still a win in my book as you'll probably gain some valuable experience and learn that it's really not all that bad being turned down.

I say this having just walked into a bar I heard was opening soon not three hours ago to offer them my services. End result? I have a meeting lined up for tomorrow with one of the owners and a better idea of what they may be looking for.

· Registered
321 Posts
If you have played with soem designs for them then this is an ideal way to introduce your self, tell them they are great designsa nd can I email one over, they will say yes and even if they dont check it straight away it gives you the chance to say greta I will call you after I have sent it to make sure you received it. Then your in, once your in the next step is can I come and see you, et etc.
Now remember cold calling is a numbers game, we have cold callers in my company making 300 calls a day and 10 appointments is a good day? we are in a different market but dont let the cold calling put you off, it is purley a numbers baem, you get rejected and move on to the next one.

Compile a good database of numbers in your area who will use your product and call them, once you hav ethe persons name and have spoke to them the best thing to say even if they are not initially interested is " OK Fine do you mind if I call you in a week or so to see how things are then" they nearly always say yes then over the weeks you buils relationships with many more people.

Good luck, persistance and not being put off by rejection is they key. It doesnt matter if you have to call 25 people to get one sale cos it is still a sale.

JOhn

· Registered
46 Posts
I'm new to this sales thing, but this is what I'm learning.

It's all about the small closes, you don't need to worry about selling yourself all in one shot. Giving them a call is a good way to establish that they even have a need. 1st close. Getting them to agree to meet with you or have a longer conversation on the phone to establish what they think their needs are - 2nd close. Having that meeting, 3rd close, showing them your stuff 4th close, making them an offer (asking for the sale) happens naturally and at the correct time. THE close.

This can happen all in one conversation or over time. Even if they decide not to use you at this time, at least you'll have the 1st couple of closes in the bag, and they'll know you're out there should they ever change their minds. I don't believe in the classic example of the greasy car salesman approach of the pressure sale. Your client, if you manage to pick them up that way will resent you later for getting them to buy something they don't need/don't actually want and that is bad for business.

I try to look at every little step as a win, try that out and perhaps it'll become easier.

· Registered
10,342 Posts
Beware if you walk in with their trademarked and copyright on garments. They may just turn around and sue you.

Cold calling sux but without a storefront you are going to have to do it. Start with your local Chamber of Commerce. You get a captive audience and they will at least give you a few minutes.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I never gave it a thought about the trade mark issues. So maybe it would be a good idea to keep my ideas on paper and use a similar or generic name instead of their business name to avoid problems.

· Registered
69 Posts
Cold calling is like riding a bike, first you're scared, then you learn and feel comfortable and you start to push you own limits! before you know, you're enjoying it!

Don't focus on the sale itself and think how you can truly help that prospect. Always think that what you want is to gain a new friend and that it is not important if you don't make the sale right now. Listen, listen, listen to your prospect and make him talk even about other stuff than the business. If he starts to talk, it means he trust you, if he trust you, you'll get the contract. You will be amazed to listen to some stuff sometimes ...

As BrotherPiano explains so well, it's a bunch of small things. Preparing a script will help you a lot, think about a strategy with questions that have only 2 possible responses, go slow, leave anchors (small close) and build up.

A technique I like to use is to send first mailing, postcards or emails and then follow up.

you'll be fine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.