T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a DTG kiosk and i was wondering if anyone has done coffee mugs on theirs and if so how was the durability of washing it especially in the dishwasher. I have a big order but not sure if i should take it

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Well, since mugs are pretty close to the same type ceramic as a tile and people have dtg printed tile before... it would be possible. However, here are the problems.
1. You would have to put an IRC on the mug. If it is not a uniform coat, the print might not look the same.
2. You would have to create a jig to hold the mug.
3. You can only print on the flat portion of the mug to get a clear print. Thus, you probably could only print 1/2 wide at max from the top of the mug to the bottom before you would have to rotate the mug. Could take 15 to 20 passes to print the entire mug.
4. You would have to rotate the mug precisely the correct amount without moving the mug forward, backwards, left or right. Oh, without smearing the other prints.
5. You are probably going to have to coat the mug with some type of clear glaze like the old transfer-based mugs to make it last.

Now, all that work above could be done with a C-88 dye sub system that cost you under $600 and takes very little labor. In addition, sublimation ink will provide you with brighter colors than any dtg inks. I have compared the color gamuts at the RIP manufacturer and sublimation is larger than the rest. Thus, the reason why sublimation was mentioned above.

Hope this explains why some things can be done with a dtg printer and other things would be more profitable and better quality with another decorating application. Best wishes.

Mark

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Hi I have a DTG kiosk and i was wondering if anyone has done coffee mugs on theirs and if so how was the durability of washing it especially in the dishwasher. I have a big order but not sure if i should take it

Sorry, but you cannot do coffee mugs on a digital garment printer. The small quantity custom printed coffee mugs you see are done by sublimation transfers on a mug heat press. Please also keep in mind that these mugs are specifically manufactured and specially coated to accept these transfers. You cannot use a regular mug with this process.

Harry

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Be very careful when you use Vistaprint - they have some sort of scam where a purchaser is automatically enrolled in one of their SCAM rewards schemes. The first we knew about it was when we noticed regular monthly payments of £11GBP + being taken from our accounts.

We had one hell of a job getting our money back

VPRewards is a scam - Google vprewards scam and discover how many people have been ripped off by VistaPrint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts