T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a designer, not in production. I have some files I am working on getting produced that are color set to CMYK. These images include white graphics, so they can print on dark t-shirts.

My first try to create PNG files for the vendor resulted in off-color prints which we could not use. I am thinking this is because the PNG translated my documents to RGB.

Is there any way I can transfer a file to a PNG, JPG, TIF, GIF, SVG, or BMP file that preserves both my transparent background and my CMYK color profile?

(Using CorelDraw 2018)

Thank you!

· Registered
48 Posts
As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), as long as the original design was made with cmyk colors, the output should be correct. Did you test printing the image on regular paper printer? was it off colored too?
If not, it could be a case of bad icc profile from the printer side.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
My first try to create PNG files for the vendor resulted in off-color prints which we could not use. I am thinking this is because the PNG translated my documents to RGB.
You need to ask the printer.
DTF and DTG printers will normally ask for RGBs, so there is no problem with color conversions or white design elements.

· Registered
213 Posts
Unfortunately, PNG, JPG, TIF, GIF, and BMP do not support CMYK color profiles. They use RGB color profiles instead. To preserve both the transparency and CMYK color profile, you can use TIFF or PDF formats with transparency and CMYK support.

However, SVG format does support transparency, but not CMYK color profiles.

If you need to use a format that supports both transparency and CMYK color, you may need to use a different tool or software that can handle the conversion and preservation of both features.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
If you need to use a format that supports both transparency and CMYK color, you may need to use a different tool or software that can handle the conversion and preservation of both features.
When CMYK with transparency is needed, PDF is the way.
BUT, I don't know any DTG/DTF printer asking for CMYK files.
Here is the info from Printful as an example:
the final version of your print file should be saved in the sRGB color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
Why sRGB and not CMYK?
sRGB has a wider, more vibrant color range (aka gamut) compared to CMYK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts