T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Go with one that isn't good enough, and make it good enough with your marketing efforts.
That's a good point.

Lots of times people get caught up in the "perfect" name, when it rarely takes a perfect name to make a successful brand.

Think of all the names of some successful brands.

Here's just a few:
10Deep
Obey
The Hundreds
Volcom
3Sixteen

These words probably didn't mean much until someone put them together with their line and branded it. Now, they're popular lines.

Your marketing and branding is what will make your product. Find a name and make a great product with some great marketing and you'll be fine.:)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I totally agree with Solmu and Greg, but I do think someone needs to connect with the name personally before they fly with it. If it "sings" to them, people will hear it when they say it.

I couldn't find the right name for my biz for a long time, and once I found it, I could "feel" it. The more time went on, the more the name took meaning, and now I couldn't imagine any other name. When I say it, I am connected to it. I wonder if that is what the OP means, that they don't feel a connection to it, rather than it doesn't sound "fashionable" enough. Not sure, waiting to hear more from the poster on why they don't think it's good enough. It truly *might* not be the right name for them. I had a dozen or so that weren't right for me, and I am glad I didn't settle before the right one was "born".

But, please don't take me wrong, what you and Solmu said was my first thought reading the post, and I totally agree with both of you that once a brand has name recognition, it will sound right, and sound right hopefully in every household. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
i had one name that fit one of the styles i was gonna do....but didnt feel right..... so i stayed with the name i've had since 1999

think of a name that's not related to tshirts......

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I couldn't find the right name for my biz for a long time, and once I found it, I could "feel" it. The more time went on, the more the name took meaning, and now I couldn't imagine any other name.
It took me a while, but I found that too - it's certainly a beautiful thing when it happens. But I know it actually took me years and some failed attempts before it happened for me. Some people are lucky and have that epiphany straight away... but some people never have it.

I'd be hesitant to use the excuse of not finding a perfect name to let you procrastinate from starting - it might never happen. The perfect name makes life easier, but it's just one of many useful ingredients. Without it you can make do with something else.

In the end I'm glad the others never stuck either. But in spite of my experience (I cringe at some of my previous choices), I'd still recommend picking something and going for it. It's only impossible to change later if you're so successful you wouldn't want to. And if your name ends up being what holds you back, at least you gathered other valuable experience and research in the meanwhile. Change it at that point and try again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I cant think of a good enough name for my clothing line! What should i do?
They all have really good pointers here.

I'd say just start off ahead first with whatever name you think is somewhat-good-enough. It's not going to be the be all and end all. You can always change it at a later date if & when the "perfect" name hits you.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts