T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone knew of any selling techniques that actually involve being outside in the real world and off the internet. I want to sell shirts at $25. And I don't want to sell to any boutiques. I want to find a way of trying build my brand up by selling to people in person. So i guess what i want to know is if there is anyone out there hustling their shirts out in the real world and not just relying on the internet.
-Thanks guys:)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
re: [CLOTHING LINE] Any tips for selling a clothing line in the "real world" not offline and not to boutiques? Direct to customer?

Events, car shows, trade shows, craft fairs, flee markets, all make for good selling points if you have a product that people at those events want to buy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: [CLOTHING LINE] Any tips for selling a clothing line in the "real world" not offline and not to boutiques? Direct to customer?

Thanks for the advice, I really want to try just touring around my area and keep trying to sell to people and connect with them. I think the internet should be a tool to keep in contact with people you actually meet in the "real world." People don't respond as well to just random "friend request." If anyone else has tried hustling the real world plz let me know.
-Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,680 Posts

All of the things Jon mentioned are great ways to get into your local public to sell shirts direct to the consumer. Not sure where your located, but their are many Summer fairs and festivals that need local vendors. Depending on your niche, concerts are usually a good place to sell as well. Also, try contacting your local mall. Maybe you can get a cart or kiosk and sell there.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

If you don't want to sell at an event then your best bet would be to get a cart in a mall, as Tim suggests, or setting up on a street corner, if that's allowed where you live. Some areas encourage buskers and street performers and artists to set up and display their talents. That might be more what you're looking for, but be sure you know what permits you need and what the parameters are. Some localities restrict the areas in which these activities can take place.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Kimura-mma and EnMartian for the advice. Im really into the idea of trying to find places to set up and sell as often as possible. Trying to sell at malls,events, and shows are great ideas. I believe now that "real world" hustling is the only way to establish a "brand." I think it would be good practice to try and always be where ever my target audience is and try to connect with them. But Myspace and Facebook are still great tools for gathering everyone you've sold to "in person" together. Anyway Im gonna look into getting the permits I need, if anyone else has something to share please do.
-Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
re: [CLOTHING LINE] Any tips for selling a clothing line in the "real world" not online and not to boutiques? Direct to customer?

I think the internet should be a tool to keep in contact with people you actually meet in the "real world." People don't respond as well to just random "friend request."
Keep in mind that there's more to selling t-shirts online than opening a myspace/facebook/twitter account and sending out "friend requests"

Being successful with an online website takes many of the same skills as successful offline sales. Targeted advertising (reaching the *right* customers), time spent marketing your business, being personable (in your product descriptions and website copy), and making your site easy to be found.

There's no reason why you can't do both, once you learn what it takes to get things going online. You don't have to be "friends" with a person online to sell them a t-shirt. I've sold 1000's of t-shirts online to complete strangers over the years (before Twitter/Facebook/Myspace).

The tip above about tradeshows/events is a good one. If you can be a vendor at the right event, you'll find people who are looking to buy t-shirts even as a momento for the time they spent at that event.

For example, if you're selling fishing t-shirts and you exhibit your brand at a fishing boat show, you are going to be selling directly to 100's of people who are already interested in the topic of your t-shirt designs.

PS. Having a website can also help you convert those sales that you may have missed during the show just by handing them a card or flyer with your website address :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
re: [CLOTHING LINE] Any tips for selling a clothing line in the "real world" not online and not to boutiques? Direct to customer?

I myself setup booths at colleges and high schools. I usually offer a percentage of the sales to the schools and works out pretty well for me as well as passing out flyers on the campus!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great advice Rodney. I do plan on making a duel marketing campaign for both online and offline marketing. I believe working the "real world" can serve as a good backbone for building an online following. Thanks for the input Cardeg1, thats cool that your setting up in places like that. How much of a cut do the schools ask for?
-Thanks again guys :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah craft fairs are a great idea. I live in Chicago, so I want to go to as many outdoor events that allow me to set up a displays as often as possible (while its still warm out, Chicago summers are short ). For me its all about finding ways to get my shirts in front of as many people as i can. :) Thanks for the input TeesForChange.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: [CLOTHING LINE] Any tips ??

What I have found is that to be a successful "street salesman" it is really about the impression you leave, and the quality of your work. I just show up to as many events as possible.

For example, my designs are in a hip hop demographic. (tshirts of course but also cover art for artists.) went to a local gathering of rappers. one of those $5 gets you in 20 artist kinda underground gigs. Made sure to hand out cards, point out the gear your wearing (WEAR YOUR OWN STUFF ALWAYS), then its off to social media. So even though I only got 2-3 potentials from that night, they invited me to the next event. Then I turned into an Impromptu PR guy for their gigs on my FB page. Even gifted a couple of shirts to the Alpha members of the group. the rest fall in suit to "be cool"

The point of all this? I could of turned a few shirts out and made a lil money, but now through networking I will be designing for their whole collab group (hip hop congress, 50 members and counting)

never be afraid to bring up your business in any conversation. Even the grocery store. Just keep your face out of your phone and your ears open. I constantly hear the phrase "i didnt have anything I liked wearing" BAM introduce yourself.

Well these are a few of the tips I have learned to successfully sell your gear in a non store/boutique setting. feel free to msg me or hit my facebook and we can pick each others brains.:D:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts