T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, sorry another thread, asking for recommendations. (Believe me i searched through tons) Skip to my TLDR to skip my jargon.

Anyone have an idea of what printer i can pickup for the job? I dont really care for sublimation currently as i cant print it on all my t-shirt colours. So just wanting to stick to heat transfers. I want to provide quality for the customer which is what is causing me issues.

Canon- couldn't seem to find a full pigment printer (only black) and if i did they was very expensive or only had OEM ink to choose from

Epson - 7710/7720 cant be found anymore in the UK, or they go for equivalent of 500$
they were replaced with the 7820/7840 which are so new they cant chipped so would be forced into OEM ink not found much support on this.

Found info on the ET-15000 which seemed like the closest printer to my needs, but not 1 piece of information on the web about heat transfers. only sublimation

TLDR:
Alot of the printer reccomendations on the forum are outdated, sold out or price jumped up due to covid, what people thought was reasonable at the time now just aren't. So im just stuck in a rut.

I just want a cheap inkjet which is capable of printing A3+ That runs on pigment ink so my prints can last some extra washes. (From the info i have been told)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Looks like you have been reading a lot.

The ET-15000 is the printer you want. I wanted to buy one late last year but couldn't find one, so I punted and converted my existing WF7210 to sublimation and bought a new ET-2720 to replace what I was previously doing with the WF7210 (pigment on greeting cards). Since then I have seen people successfully purchase ET-15000, so it might be a matter of keeping your eyes open and waiting.

That said, I noticed this in your post:

"I dont really care for sublimation currently as i cant print it on all my t-shirt colours. So just wanting to stick to heat transfers. I want to provide quality for the customer which is what is causing me issues."

Some of us are of the opinion that there is not a "retail quality" inkjet paper for darks. They all have their own specific pros and cons, but all seem to have at least some of the following traits: Heavy hand, stiff crinkly feel, crack prone, poor durability. So "we" tend to see these as more useful for special occasion and single use event type shirts than for a clothing brand.

There isn't an affordable way to print long-lasting high-quality low-hand full-color low-volume prints on dark garments. This is the much sought-after unicorn that we keep looking for and not finding. So far they all turn out of be nags with a toilet paper tube glued to their forehead. Fine for their purpose, but keep a shovel to hand, because they won't be farting rainbows.

All of that said, if you can rank the attributes that you want your prints and printing process to have in order from most to least important, that might help us help you find the best compromise.

So for example:

1. Equipment Cost Under $1500
2. Ability to print on Black/Dark garments
3. Full Color capability
4. Durability
5. Soft Handfeel
6. Cost per print under $5
7. Rainbows ...

Getting your priorities sorted out is important, because some of those are going to have to die in order to satisfy the higher ranked ones.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
they were replaced with the 7820/7840 which are so new they cant chipped
Who told you this? The 7840 use 405 carts and can be reset.

ound info on the ET-15000 which seemed like the closest printer to my needs
The ET-15000 is an inferior machine... Half the speed of the 7840 for double the money. Therefore 4 times more expensive.
Manufacturers cannot make money by selling ink cartridges, so you pay the real price for the printer.

I just want a cheap inkjet which is capable of printing A3+ That runs on pigment ink so my prints can last some extra washes. (From the info i have been told)
Unfortunately not all pigment inks are the same.
Genuine Epson DuraBrite ULTRA works well and the DuraBrite PRO even better.
That's what I know from my limited experience with inkjet transfers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So for example:

1. Equipment Cost Under $1500
2. Ability to print on Black/Dark garments
3. Full Color capability
4. Durability
5. Soft Handfeel
6. Cost per print under $5
7. Rainbows ...

Getting your priorities sorted out is important, because some of those are going to have to die in order to satisfy the higher ranked ones.
Ill be honest im trying to keep this cheap and cheerful. I understand i cant get retail quality, but what im wanting from my inkjet needs is

1. A product that will get me minimal returns, and a good satisfaction rate.
2. Im going to print on high quality blanks, the picture attached is the blank colours i like to use, rather than B/W they are quite unorthodox. But b/w will be an additional option. Black preferably.

3.My budget id say is 400-700$ Ideally. I can stretch but I'm really wanting to set this up in a good value for money area.
4. I just want a good looking print. The better colour reproduction the better, I want to be able to print out band images or put an artist image on the front, and go into the vintage sort of 90s - 2000s era.
4. Soft hand feel isn't a priority to me, as good as I can get really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who told you this? The 7840 use 405 carts and can be reset.

The ET-15000 is an inferior machine... Half the speed of the 7840 for double the money. Therefore 4 times more expensive.
Manufacturers cannot make money by selling ink cartridges, so you pay the real price for the printer.

Unfortunately not all pigment inks are the same.
Genuine Epson DuraBrite ULTRA works well and the DuraBrite PRO even better.
That's what I know from my limited experience with inkjet transfers.
Theres that many reviews and model changes its hard to accurately tell who is the successor in my opinion. but on printer land it says the model is discontinued and the new model is the 7840. There is also a review of the 7840 online comparing it to the 7710 models, referencing it as such.

If the 7840 can take all pigment Ink that maybe my best choice then? what do you think as i wasn't aware of any 405 carts. I came across articles telling me chipless wasn't available for this model yet. Most discussions were also about sublimation so I couldn't find too much

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Theres that many reviews and model changes its hard to accurately tell who is the successor in my opinion. but on printer land it says the model is discontinued and the new model is the 7840. There is also a review of the 7840 online comparing it to the 7710 models, referencing it as such.
I did not dispute this... It is indeed the replacement and its cart chips can be reset.
Much better machine than the ET-15000, but a lot of people do have issues with refillable carts and CIS systems.

If the 7840 can take all pigment Ink that maybe my best choice then? what do you think as i wasn't aware of any 405 carts. I came across articles telling me chipless wasn't available for this model yet. Most discussions were also about sublimation so I couldn't find too much
Chipless is a different thing, and useful if you print high volume.
It disables the ink monitoring system, so you never have to reset the chips.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Ill be honest im trying to keep this cheap and cheerful. I understand i cant get retail quality, but what im wanting from my inkjet needs is

1. A product that will get me minimal returns, and a good satisfaction rate.
2. Im going to print on high quality blanks, the picture attached is the blank colours i like to use, rather than B/W they are quite unorthodox. But b/w will be an additional option. Black preferably. View attachment 272611
3.My budget id say is 400-700$ Ideally. I can stretch but I'm really wanting to set this up in a good value for money area.
4. I just want a good looking print. The better colour reproduction the better, I want to be able to print out band images or put an artist image on the front, and go into the vintage sort of 90s - 2000s era.
4. Soft hand feel isn't a priority to me, as good as I can get really.
I've got to run out the door just now, so can't blather for long. You might consider how important #4 is likely to be to achieving #1. Less of an issue on small prints, but with large solid areas of art a heavy, stiff print becomes an issue to most retail wearers.

Band shirts, and the like, of that era were screen printed. Still the best way to do it, but requires a certain volume to attain a reasonable cost per unit, and it is an upfront cost that leaves you sitting on inventory. Plastisol transfers might be an option, you still have to buy the transfers in quantity to reach a good price per unit, but you don't have to stick it on a specific size/style/color of shirt until you have an order. But every color you add, adds to the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not dispute this... It is indeed the replacement and its cart chips can be reset.
Much better machine than the ET-15000, but a lot of people do have issues with refillable carts and CIS systems.

Chipless is a different thing, and useful if you print high volume.
It disables the ink monitoring system, so you never have to reset the chips.
Thankyou for the support fella. much appreciated . will probably pick up the 7840. fingers crossed no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got to run out the door just now, so can't blather for long. You might consider how important #4 is likely to be to achieving #1. Less of an issue on small prints, but with large solid areas of art a heavy, stiff print becomes an issue to most retail wearers.

Band shirts, and the like, of that era were screen printed. Still the best way to do it, but requires a certain volume to attain a reasonable cost per unit, and it is an upfront cost that leaves you sitting on inventory. Plastisol transfers might be an option, you still have to buy the transfers in quantity to reach a good price per unit, but you don't have to stick it on a specific size/style/color of shirt until you have an order. But every color you add, adds to the cost.
Thanks for the advice dude, if you have any further recommendations for models please chime in. They're all going up against the 7840 as time of writing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts