T-Shirt Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cool, I might replace them just for the hell of it. It just sucks because they're just as old as the print head...
Only a week or two old. Still no improvements. I think I'll let my head soak overnight.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
With your bottles of white ink that are not in the machine, do you shake them every few days to make sure the ink does not separate? Alot of times people worry about the ink in the machine, but forget about the bottles. How long have you had the white ink you have? When you poor the ink in to fill it, do you notice any sludge at all? Do you have the continous ink flow system, or the HM1 with the agitator?

·
Registered
91 Posts
HM-1 with agitator...I just got the ink a few days ago and there was a little sludge. I do try to shake it a few times per week. Does this mean I need to drop another $300 on a new print head?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Have you flushed your printer lately? The whole system? I do this once a month with a mixture of warm water and cleaning solution. This might help to clear things out if you have not done this yet. It really helps greatly reduce any buildup in the system, it is a part of my regular maintenance on my machine. If you have not done this yet, try it. You want to flush until you are getting clear water into your waste ink bottle. It does take a couple hours but so so worth how much it helps your machine. Oh and make sure you use only distilled water, not regular tap water.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea, everything was brand new on the machine as far as ink path goes. A week ago I put in a new bulk white ink bottle, new line harness, new cart dampers and new print head all at the same time. I'm pretty convinced now that it was the sludge from the white ink bottle that did it. I think I've cleared my print head though but now I'm afraid to use my week old cartridges and lines. One out of the four white ink lines has a spot with dried white in it that I can't seem to flush out to save my life. I'm worried this will free itself and just clog my print head again. And the dampers I can never seem to get completely cleaned out because there's always a corner or a single spot that you can't seem to flush and there's always foam.

I have the whole thing apart right now and I have the white ink line that is in question full of cleaning solution and soaking. I put a piece of hobby shop fuel tubing on my syringe and put the other end directly onto the nipple of the print head intake one at a time and flushed through. Seems to be spraying almost perfectly now, I'm soaking the head overnight. I'd love to print my orders tomorrow and then no harm done, but now I'm afraid of this line with residue and the cart dampers having **** in them. I can't really tell if they have dried ink in them or not even though they're only a week old.

The whole thing is pretty frustrating because when the sludge came out of the white ink bottle and into my bulk bottle I just figured the agitator would mix it up. Its a shame because that white ink bottle came in the mail only days ago and was stored in a cool dark place as well as shaken. Once the white ink separates does shaking remix the sludge or is it too late. I have ANOTHER bottle of white ink that is unopened that came in the same order as the sludgy one... Does that mean this other new bottle is in question as well?

I don't want to have to go through this again two days from now. Is there anyway to really flush these carts, or just order more on monday and wait for the snail mail?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
If the ink buildup in the line did not come out during flushing, it probably wont move, but it if does it will only go to the damper, as the dampers have a filter in them to catch debris. As long as there are no chunks in your ink, it should mix back up, unless it is an older bottle of ink. After you shake it do you see any sludge in it? I have a bit of buildup in one of my lines as well, not alot, just like a line in one line that refuses to come out. It has never moved in over a year :) If you printhead and cartridges are only a week old they should not be clogged.

Did it help any when you soaked your printhead in the capping station earlier? Sometimes it just takes a couple of times doing it before it clears. I would soak it over night and see if that helps. I Cant remember if you said you had a hygrometer for your humidity or not? Do you, and if so what is the level showing on your humidity? That is one of the most common things that will cause white ink to not flow properly. Since the inks are waterbased inks, if there is not enough humidity, it can cause the moisture of the ink in your printhead to dry up, thus causing ink slowing and then clogging. So what is your humidity level? Sorry I cant remember if you covered this or not, I am going to go back and read :)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Ok I just read and your humidity was only at 31%, that is toooo low :) Get a cheap hot steam humidifier and run it in the room with your machine till you get your humidity to at least 50%.

Tonight do another soak on your printhead, and before you run your machine tomorrow run out and get a humdifier. Get your humidity up to 50%, and then turn your machine back on and do a head clean. This could very possibly be your problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Haha, no problem. I do have a hygrometer and humidifier, but I wasn't using either until earlier today after you guys suggested to. When I first turned my hygrometer on the room was only at 20%. Since this humidifier has been on for a few hours its now at...41%. The printer is in my living room so its always comfortable temp wise. Right now its 77 degrees. I think i've blown out my clogs with my syringe. They're almost perfect, there might be one or two micro-holes that aren't spraying, its close enough to perfect that its hard to tell. I am soaking the printhead overnight in cleaning solution anyway and I'll probably blow it out again in the morning before I re-assemble.

I did soak my printhead earlier in the capping station for an hour. Did this twice with no luck, and then I remembered the sludge so I took it all apart.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is the continuous ink system better? And whats up with the light colors in place of white? I thought white was better because its for underbase?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Hmm I dont have the continuous ink system either :) I have the system with the agitator, and have not really felt the need for the upgrade :) I bet the humidity tomorrow will make a big difference for you. If you took your printhead completely out to flush it, make extra sure that there is no moisture near your cable connections. If there is any moisture at all near it, make sure it is completley dry before plugging the cables back in. I have seen people blow the fuses on their main board, or burn their cables, by plugging it in with moisture in them.

The light colors are for machines that are not running white ink. They are only for people that are printing cmyk, and not printing on darks. You do need white ink to print dark garments :) We will get you running good, you will see haha. :D

Reactions: HM-1 Addict

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice... I didn't take the head completely out, I only took all the dampers off of it so I could get to the nipples. I printed like 100 shirts in my first week before I ran out of the bright and decided to flush and upgrade to the V02. After that is when all the problems started. Yeah I'm pretty excited again about putting it back together and I'm pretty confident that it will work now. Famous last words.. If humidity is such a huge deal like you say (which totally makes sense) then you're right, that was probably exactly the problem. This humidifier has been on for hours and I've refilled it once already, so I'll probably need to run two humi's because its only at 42% so far. Thank you so much for all the help man. I made a decent profit in my first week and reinvested it into blank shirts for my next order. I was devastated to think I needed another new print head in a row with all these blank shirts in stock. You really talked me off the ledge...lol..

Humidity never really crossed my mind.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Proper humidity level is crucial to proper operation of any of the printer brands. As I posted to you earlier. we recommend a humidity level of 40% to 80%. Bobbie's suggestion of around 50% is a good one. Everyone should have a hygrometer (humidity gauge) on their wall next to their printer. They're very cheap - digital ones at Home Depot or Loews go for as little as $10. Humidifiers are also relatively inexpensive. This is one area that everyone should pay close attention to.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Banned
877 Posts
Nice... I didn't take the head completely out,
The reason fro removing the print head is so that you do not take a chance of having the cleaning fluid run down the ribbon cables which could cause your ribbon cables, print head and maybe your motherboard to burn out, electronics and water just do not work together :(, bottom line is to make sure that everything is dry and the only way to verify this is to remove the print head and using air, is to blow out the cable connector, and dry the ends of the ribbon cables real good befroew putting it back together.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

·
Banned
877 Posts
Nice... I didn't take the head completely out,
The reason fro removing the print head is so that you do not take a chance of having the cleaning fluid run down the ribbon cables which could cause your ribbon cables, print head and maybe your motherboard to burn out, electronics and water just do not work together :(, bottom line is to make sure that everything is dry and the only way to verify this is to remove the print head and using air, is to blow out the cable connector, and dry the ends of the ribbon cables real good befroew putting it back together.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

41 - 55 of 55 Posts