T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have rubber coated plattens and we always use platten tape to cover them. What we now know is that you must first apply a base layer of tape, trim it real close to the platten edge and never remove it or print on it. Instead, apply a second layer of tape on top of the first and that one gets removed and replaced regularly when the plattens get too linty. Just be careful when removing the top layer that you don't lift up the base layer...it must stay on the platten forever. Our initial mistake was that we did not originally apply the base layer of tape. So it got linty like normal and when we tried to remove that layer it abosulety will not come off. We have about 30% of it off and a mess with the rest of it. We have tried every solvent and cleaner known to man, but nothing has worked so far to get back down to the clean rubber. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yep. I do that. Although I have regular MDF platens. I put down vertical strips of masking tape as the permanent layer, and then for the replaceable layer I put down horizontal strips of painters tape. It works loverly :D

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
122 Posts
When making signs we use what is called application fluid to remove the application tape (same as pallet tape). Spray it on the top of the tape, spread it around a bit, and let it soak for 30 seconds or so. It penetrates the paper layer of the tape and softens the adhesive. One such brand is called Rapid-Tac Application Tape.

There are also adhesive removers that are sold through sign supply companies but the odor is a bit strong.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I use rubber platens and have never had that problem. I use regular vinyl decal "transfer tape" for mine and have always pulled them off easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally managed to get it off this weekend. Took a long time and a lot of work, but it is clean now. First I used screen degreaser straight out of the bottle, not diluted and that lifted what paper was left. Then I used several applications of paint thinner and scraped over and over until I was able to remove all the glue.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So yeah, on my platen the corners weren't taped off and one swipe with some screen wash, all the fuzz and stickyness came right off. I'm no longer gonna tape my platens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts