T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I purchased my heat press used, and the plattens have a little bit of schmootz (like that word) on them. What is the best way to clean them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, the first thing I would do is try to determine if your heat press platens were coated with Teflon. Many of them are. Just look up your model on the internet to find out, or let us know what you've bought and we can tell you.
I figured that a heat press platen that is coated with Teflon is pretty much the same as a frying pan that is coated with Teflon as far as cleaning is concerned. So I went to Dupont's Teflon website and came across the following.....

"We recommend you use a non-abrasive cleaner such as Bon-Ami®, or a non-abrasive cleanser and a sponge, dobie pad, or other cleaning pad that indicates it is safe for use on non-stick pans. Check in your grocer's cleaning/detergent aisle."

More FAQs about Teflon can be seen at their website.

It also seems that Teflon is very resistant to most chemicals, which I've learned from that site.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If the top platen is black its teflon coated, usually a non coated platen will be silver in color.
mine was black when I went to clean it :D But I dont think it's teflon coated.

Anyway, there is another post on this topic, do a search....I had posted several methods used. Including what was suggested by the manufacturer of my particular heat press.

What finally worked....the iron cleaner I bought at jo-annes fabrics. I used one tube, but I need another 2 or 3.....its really baked on there! I have a swing away, and didnt notice the build up until it was leaving flecks of stuff on my white shirts. Regardless, this is the stuff that worked the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts