T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many screen printers use paint thinner to clean ink out of the screen. I was wondering if Mineral Spirit would work (It's not smelly like paint thinner and is biodegradable).
Any one tried?!?:confused:

· Registered
172 Posts
It will work just as good as regular screen wash BUT I have only done it in a pinch for a screen that is to be reclaimed. remember that there is no guarantee that it will not have an adverse affect on your emulsion and lock it permanently to the screen. Strongly advise to use the chemicals that are intended for that purpose.

· Registered
708 Posts
Check the label of your paint thinner. If it's just the generic brand you get from the hardware store, it will probably say "100% Mineral Spirits" somewhere on the label. The bottles labeled Mineral Spirits are simply better refined than paint thinner, thus making them lower odor.

If you are using a different, specialized type of paint thinner (i.e. for water based paints or non-mineral spirit solvents), then no.

· Registered
163 Posts
Minerals Spirits will work but I HIGHLY recommend that you use a safer cleaner. I used Mineral Spirits when I first started over 20 years ago. You know something is wrong when you screens are clean but your getting a buzz on! Use Franmar Beanie Do and your body will love you for many years. IMHO

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Minerals Spirits will work but I HIGHLY recommend that you use a safer cleaner. I used Mineral Spirits when I first started over 20 years ago. You know something is wrong when you screens are clean but your getting a buzz on! Use Franmar Beanie Do and your body will love you for many years. IMHO
Yeah, it does give you a buzz on! My press wipe it's also very strong! Any press wipe with low odor? or maybe without that "chemical" odor?

· Registered
163 Posts
I would just use another Franmar product. Check out their web sight. I know there are other companies that produce safer products but I have had good success with Franmar. Now I still use a screen opener that is not that safe but works. I just try to use it very sparingly. Trying to make my shop safer, so what if you making money but end up dead with Cancer or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.