T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be beneficial to get a CIS system for my new WF 1100? I am only using this printer for film positives. I will most likely use Simple Seps and not Accurip so it won't be printing from all heads at once. I can put cleaning soultion in the colors so the wont gum up? any thoughts? If not I'm going with these refillable carts.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Most will say refillable carts all with dye ink is the best solution. I prefer CIS due to lower refill times and mess. Just make sure to add a waste ink tank. If you want to print to all heads just take your separations and change the black to CMYK 90-90-90-100. Boom printing black from all channels.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When they clean they send ink through the head and soak a sponge under the printer its an archaic system that doesn't show you if it is getting full. Adding a waste ink tank is simple and just makes sense to see if their is an issue with your cis. I a, not familiar with simp seps. But doesn't it output a number of files that are printed. You would need to open those screen files in another program like illustrator or corel and then select all the black and replace it with rich colorful black. I am sure there is a way to do it easily just not sure how to do it with that software.

I think cis has come a long way since I tried my first one over 10 years ago. If you aren't comfy with making your printer more complex totally go with the refill carts they are a very good option. In my book it's about what you like in this case. Just buy from reputable sources for either and it will be fine.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Simple seps is a Corel draw add-on. I use it all the time and yes it does halftones and does a good job.

I have CISS on all my printers. Over 4 years no problem. I would recommend hotzone360 or ebay user aaadealalways for this every system has worked flawlessly and I have about 10 systems from him. 1 system showed up with bad chips I called he put in the mail next day. The settings are in Corel Draw change to 100 CMYK. I am going to try and make a video tutorial on this later tonight but right now I have finish redoing my daughters bedroom.

Are you planning on going all black? I highly recommend this. You are about 3 hrs from me. If you need help I can give you my contact info via PM.

Reactions: BnC Custom Ink

·
Registered
828 Posts
Most will say refillable carts all with dye ink is the best solution. I prefer CIS due to lower refill times and mess. Just make sure to add a waste ink tank. If you want to print to all heads just take your separations and change the black to CMYK 90-90-90-100. Boom printing black from all channels.

I've tried changing my black in illustrator and noticed no difference in my films... Not sure if i'm doing anything wrong, but didn't notice any difference.

As Far as the OP... If you are planning to be printing a lot of films (at least once a day) a CISS should be alright. CISS's are more prone to clogs so you need to be printing a lot with them. Otherwise refillable carts might be the way to go. That's what I'm using with my 1400 now. Just regular Ink too.. NO blackmax or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It's my understanding that clogging is more typically due to the type of ink (like solvent inks and sublimation inks) rather then the delivery method. Certain inks have tiny partials in them, unlike dye inks, that clog the head. If you do use the rich black method make sure to treat the image as a full color image and don't set the printer to black only or grayscale in the print dialogue and image mode To cmyk in the document itself.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I've run enough CISS ink that I would have paid for my $400 pre-installed 1100 system from Cobra twice now, if I had been buying factory ink.

+1 the all black dye changeover--if all you're doing is films. I get acceptable film results (though they could be much better,) photo paper archive quality, as well as transfers from my still-pigmented system--and I've only had to do two head cleanings. I think Tygeron's probably right--in that with refillables, you're always sloshing them around, while tanks on the side of the printer just sit there, unless you shake them around once in a while. (which I do)

If I were three hours from Sben--I would buy a new printer and CISS, and go hang out with him for a couple hours. I'm pretty sure I'd learn more than a couple things. Stupid geographical constraints. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simple seps is a Corel draw add-on. I use it all the time and yes it does halftones and does a good job.

I have CISS on all my printers. Over 4 years no problem. I would recommend hotzone360 or ebay user aaadealalways for this every system has worked flawlessly and I have about 10 systems from him. 1 system showed up with bad chips I called he put in the mail next day. The settings are in Corel Draw change to 100 CMYK. I am going to try and make a video tutorial on this later tonight but right now I have finish redoing my daughters bedroom.

Are you planning on going all black? I highly recommend this. You are about 3 hrs from me. If you need help I can give you my contact info via PM.
I might take you up on that when I get the CIS system.

Sent from my PC36100 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
702 Posts
Definitely add a waste tank, it's amazing how much ink gets pulled through the printhead and into the waste tank every time the printer cleans itself. Eventually you have a printer full of half-dried ink that ruins your carpet when you move it to dust.

Cobra has photos on how to install but I couldn't find them on their website. I found a link to it on another thread on this forum.

Untitled 2

For matching tubing size, I found "mini" air tubing at Pet Supermarket (PetCo didn't have it anymore, I could have sworn they used to ). Make sure it says mini, not the standard size air line. This fits perfectly over the junction that you take off so you can re-route it wherever you want it to go. Just make sure any waste bottle stays on the same level as the printer, too high and it'll back up into the printhead, too low and it'll suck the ink out of the printhead.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use the print pay less CISS system with Fixxons film and I am super happy with the results. I've changed just about everything in my setup since I got started doing this, and these two things are pretty much the only thing that have stood the test of time in my journey through this process...

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
If I were three hours from Sben--I would buy a new printer and CISS, and go hang out with him for a couple hours. I'm pretty sure I'd learn more than a couple things. Stupid geographical constraints. :)
I think it maybe the other way around or at least mutual.
Although when it comes to positive/negatives I do know a lot. I was using refilled carts printing all black using 100 CMYK about 15 years ago Although only screen printing for 5 I used this when I made printed circuit boards. Talk about needing black fims.

I might take you up on that when I get the CIS system.
anytime. Just pm me for contact info.

Reactions: BnC Custom Ink
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.