T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding ciss, dye/pigmentation inks, etc(I've read through a lot of threads:)).

I recently purchased an Epson 1400 and don't have any "business" since I'm in the learning stages. A majority of the threads have said use pigmentation for heat transfer, but I've also read that some people have had good results with the Claria ink also.

Since I am only testing and am going to make a run of maybe 14 shirts for my softball team, I was wondering what I should try first. Here are the options I was thinking about:

1)Install and use the OEM inks that came with the printer, just to see what happens.
-PROS: I already have them and their ment for this printer
-CONS: It's not a pigmentation and I want to do heat transfer on a 50/50 shirt. Not sure of the results.
-QUESTION: If I don't like it and I need to buy a different set to try, does it mess up anything switching ink types? Is there any specific process when switching ink typesfrom dye to pig)?

2)Use what I have now(OEM) and then buy refillable catridges and bulk ink.
-PROS: Price is not too much and this should be enough ink to start out since I don't have any "business" orders. Would be buying more Clairia compatable inks so the inks should be similar.
-CONS: Not sure of any. I've just heard that refillable cartidges are messy and a pain.
-QUESTION: Can you put pigmentation ink in refillable cartriges? I've always seen the CISS systems with that type of ink. If not, I've read that Claria bulk Ink + Refillable catridges + JPSS Transfer paper = excellent results

3)Toss the OEM inks, buy a CISS with pigmentation ink.
-PROS: $$ Savings over the long run, easy to refill, works great with heat transfers.
-CONS: Tends to clog the Epson 1400, since it was not ment for pigmentation inks; Pricey systems.
-QUESTION: How many transfers can you print using a CISS without refilling the resevoir for a normal image(Nothing huge and not just text, something average). Since I've never sat down and just printed away, I'm not sure how long an average catridge would last vs how long a CISS would last. I'm wondering if the CISS is more for the "big boys" or people doig a lot of printing everyday.

Sorry for the long post and being all over the map on this topic, but just wondering since I'm about to invest in the printing "supply" portion of my setup.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You are right. There are a lot of members use claria ink using Jetpro Sofstretch inkjet transfer paper. JPSS so far is the only transfer paper that works with dye or claria ink as claimed by members.

I would suggest to get a sample of JPSS and try it with 1400 OEM inks and go from there. Make you give the shirt a thorough harsh washing condition to make sure your system will work. In my book it is best to have a first hand experience instead of relying on what works for others. Keep in mind that no two systems perform the same even with the same equipments and materials that are used.

I use pigment ink in refillable cartridge with no problems. I own three small format Epson inkjet printers. You save 85% using refillable cartridge with third party ink. Also there is no color shift when used for heat transfer. I heard color shifting with OEM inks. CIS is more economical if you are printing a lot in continuous production mode.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use pigment ink in refillable cartridge with no problems. Also there is no color shift when used for heat transfer.
Hi Luis,

Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask you where you bought your refillable catridges and ink from? Do you find it pretty easy and mess free to refill your catridges. I remember owning an HP printer long ago and using a refillable "kit". It was such a pain and that's why I was not leaning towards that method. If the newer kits are easier, then maybe I'll give them a try.

Also when you mentioned "Also there is no color shift when used for heat transfer.", are you referring to the pigmentation inks? or the heat transfer paper?

Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
The color shift is caused when heat alters the color of some oem inks. Heat Transfer inks are not just pigment but formulated to resist change under heat. Refilling is easier now, but not completely pain free. If you buy refill carts don't use sharp needles to do refills, they can easily damage the inner wall of the cart causing leaks. Look around and ask questions. The best systems use a vacuum principle for refilling. Cis is great until it stops working, then it's a pain too. Inksupply.com is a good starting place. Then search the web, ask questions. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Luis,

Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask you where you bought your refillable catridges and ink from? Do you find it pretty easy and mess free to refill your catridges. I remember owning an HP printer long ago and using a refillable "kit". It was such a pain and that's why I was not leaning towards that method. If the newer kits are easier, then maybe I'll give them a try.

Also when you mentioned "Also there is no color shift when used for heat transfer.", are you referring to the pigmentation inks? or the heat transfer paper?

Thanks!
I just bought a 1400 and got refillable cartridges from Superjetusa.com. I also have a C88 and a C120 with CIS, so I buy all my ink in bulk from Inksupply.com. Their ink is specifically designed for heat transfers.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi Jospeh,

I bought my refillable and heat transfer ink from inkjetcarts.us. I bought the Ultima Heat transfer kit that came with 3 sets of refillable cartridges, 8 oz. of each CMYK, 8 oz. of cleaning solution, 4 large syringes for vacuum fill and 4 small syringes with needles for top off fill. It really is not messy to fill up the cartrdiges. The instructions and customer support are very good. I use vacuum fill for both initial fill and top off fill outside the printer to avoid spilling ink inside the printer and also avoid punturing the inner liner. Pulling cartdriges to fill them up also gives me better control where I can see the ink level while the ink goes in the cartdridge.

Inkjetcarts.us has a very good selection of Epson model that their product supports including 1400. The company also sells CIS unit. The CIS unit may not be listed in the website. You have to call and ask for it.

Inksupply.com is another vendor that the forum likes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Inkjetcarts have really good prices on bottles of HT ink as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Joseph, what did you decide to go with? My options are between either the CIS or refillable, but I really wanna just pop in the OEMs and start printing away! haha

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....I received some sample JPSS transfers and was going to try them out with the OEM inks since I heard they work well....but, then I emailed inkjetfly.com over the weekend(2 weeks ago) and Leo answered all my questions and replied quickly everytime(even late at night). After talking to him, I decided to give his 1400 Bogfoot pigmentation kit a try. Luckily he is local to me, so I asked if I could pick up the kit locally. He agreed and I met him at a mutual location and talked with him a bit. He said if I have any issues during the install or afterward to let him know. Since he does this for a living, I can see how important this was to him to make sure everything works out fine....By the way, I did a search for inkjetfly on the forums and found people who have used him. At first they had some issues with the equipment, but Leo was quick to get them an exchange until they were satisfied....To me, besides having a great product, I want dependable support and so far I haven't had any issues on the "sales" part of the transaction.

I got really busy over the last week and didn't have a chance to install it, but with the upcoming holiday weekend, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm actually waiting to order some T-Shirts, but in the meantime, I'll try to get all my equipment setup.

Whoops forgot to mention that his prices were reasonable too...With the ebay stuff going for $50-$80, and the more "known" kits going for $200-$300, his $120 seamed a good ballpark amount.

I'll reply back and let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys...I still haven't had a chance to install the CIS yet, but I received an email from Leo at inkjetfly today regarding the setup of the Bigfoot kit. I think by watching these, it will make my setup go quicker.

"Hi Joseph,
I just made a BigFoot 1400 CIS installation video -
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjlk-3_uDs[/media]

Please note that is dye ink CIS so it is prefilled. On pigment CIS, user
still need to prime the CIS before install it into 1400 -
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mkab3shts[/media]

Also, this is the new updated instruction to install 1400 tubes which is
different to the way showing in video -
CIS Weblog (started from 2008-08-14) :: View topic - 1400 CIS Tubes Guide

And new 1400 pigment CIS custom profiles -
CIS Weblog (started from 2008-08-14) :: View topic - 1400 Pigment Epson Premium Photo Glossy Paper
CIS Weblog (started from 2008-08-14) :: View topic - 1400 Pigment Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions."

Hope this is useful information....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts