T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this whole T Shirt forum thing, but I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on my web site. Please visit it at http://www.chuggybrand.com . Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any questions. Buy a shirt or leave me a good reason why you decided not to.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
ChuggyB said:
or leave me a good reason why you decided not to.
The fact that every shirt has the word "chuggy" written on it seems like reason enough.

As Rodney said, good product shots. Reasonable prices. Slogan is a little unenthusiastic ("...it's good enough")... but ultimately none of that is relevant because the site doesn't give me any reason to want to own a piece of clothing with the word "chuggy" on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
gotta agree. the website is great and the pictures phenomenal (did you do those yourself, by the way? you really should take a look at the thread rodney mentioned above and shed some light for us all). i'm just not buying into the whole marketing idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys. Sorry I havent been here for ahwile. I couldnt figure out my password/email i used to create the account. Anyway, we are trying to brand chuggy as we move along. Our slogan of its good enough simply impies that you shouldnt need a reason, except that its a good lookin shirt what more do you need? If anyone here has a good answer to that I am all ears.The cool part about chuggy brand is the fact that it can mean anything that you want. I'd love some added suggestions.

~chuggy
www.chuggybrand.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
chuggy said:
Thanks for the insight guys. Sorry I havent been here for ahwile. I couldnt figure out my password/email i used to create the account. Anyway, we are trying to brand chuggy as we move along. Our slogan of its good enough simply impies that you shouldnt need a reason, except that its a good lookin shirt what more do you need? If anyone here has a good answer to that I am all ears.The cool part about chuggy brand is the fact that it can mean anything that you want. I'd love some added suggestions.

~chuggy
www.chuggybrand.com
Just my opinion:

With regards to your slogan, I understand your logic, however, I think there are certain images and feelings that get conjured up when people hear or see the phrase "it's good enough."

For example, when was the last time you yourself used that phrase or heard a co-worker or friend use it? I hear it a lot at my job and from my friends and it's usually when they are half-assing something. Good enough is just getting by. Good enough is saying you made an effort. Good enough is not the best that you can do. All I'm saying is that it probably isn't evoking the imagery or feelings you want it to.

Even if you changed it to something like, "Good shirts. Good designs. Good enough" would be better than "Good enough" by itself. Personally I wouldn't use that phrase at all.

Just reward what you are trying to get across and you will be set! :)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
except that its a good lookin shirt what more do you need? If anyone here has a good answer to that I am all ears.
I think the problem with it is that it has the word "chuggy" on it and people would like to know what it means before they buy. That's one of their needs.

It is a good looking shirt, but with the word chuggy being so much a part of the design, customers will want to know why they should wear your company name across their chest. What's in it for them? What makes it worth wearing?

With nike, they have the commercials, the pro athletes to help convince people to pay for a little swoosh on a t-shirt. Other companies that sell their company name's as part of a shirt design also do a lot of marketing to get people to identify with that company name.

Without people identifying with the company name, it could effect your sales.

That's just my two bits though. Obviously if your sales are through the roof, then all our advice won't be worth much :D

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
teeshirtsamurai said:
I hear it a lot at my job and from my friends and it's usually when they are half-assing something. Good enough is just getting by. Good enough is saying you made an effort. Good enough is not the best that you can do. All I'm saying is that it probably isn't evoking the imagery or feelings you want it to.
Good point!

But if that philosophy (laziness, just getting by, doing as little work as possible) is part of your brand (which could be an interesting angle for a certain demographic), then you have to make that very clear on your website with definitions, situational comedy, product descriptions, etc.

For example, if you branded "chuggy" to mean "good enough", then you could start a grassroots/guerilla marketing type ad campaign on college campuses getting people to start saying. "yeah, it's chuggy".

"Dude, I just ordered a pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. Is that cool?"

"yeah, it's chuggy"

meaning, I don't really like mushrooms, but I'll eat the pizza anyway if it's in front of my face because, hey, it's pizza. It's good enough.

Professor: Mark, here's your 15 page essay back on the effect of the media's reporting of violence in public schools over the past decade. You got a C-

Mark: Chuggy.

(meaning, Mark's damn happy for a C- since he did the report the same morning starting at 2am and typing like a madman a the local kinkos). C- is good enough when the night before you were thinking of taking an incomplete.

Adding stuff like that to your site (maybe a webcomic, maybe a fake definition page, etc), will help your customers decide if chuggy is right for them.

Even if that's not your meaning of chuggy, you'll need to define a meaning and express it on your site and all your advertising copy, otherwise you'll have confused customers.

·
2,957 Posts
I agree with everybody else. You've got to give people a GOOD reason to wear "chuggy". I don't think saying that it's whatever you want it to mean IS "good enough".;)

This is especially true when you venture into the territory of branding. You want people to wear chuggy, but if they can't identify with it, you have defeated yourself.

Not everyone wants to wear a shirt with a branding name all over it, and that's okay. But for those that will, you have to give them a GOOD reason to plaster "Chuggy" all over themselves. I've run into some of the same challenges. I've got to be honest, though, when I first saw it, I couln't help but to keep thinking of the word "chubby". For some reason, chuggy is giving me a "fat" conotation!

Give people that don't mind wearing that kind of thing a good reason, then get it in their face!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good point, I didn't look at it like that. Yes, if that was how you were branding yourself that would be genius and if your brand become a slang as in Rodney's example... well... you would be filthy rich.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
...because it worked so well for Dominoes to get the word "puff" into the lexicon, even with their massive amounts of money for marketing...

I don't know if they tried that in the US or that was just a local ad campaign... for those who don't know - Dominoes made a series of ads describing positive things as "puff", meaning excellent, without pushing a product, and then released their puff pastry crust. Everyone hates the ad campaign. It did succeed at being memorable (one important facet of advertising to be sure), but completely failed at its goal of getting people to use the word.

The point is, it is next to impossible to get people to use a word you want them to for commercial reasons. Slang either devolves out of natural language, or new words are coined to fill gaps in our vocabulary. If you want to ride that as a business, you're probably better off finding a fledgling new word and registering the domain/trademark/etc. for it before it has completely taken off (or taking a pre-existing language and convincing people it's cool :)).

You can make people associate your brand word with something and therefore want it (like Rodney's example of Nike - in this case you might try and associate it with college cool), but while you can get them to wear/enjoy/recommend your product - you're not going to get them to change the very way they speak on a day to day level (if they like the word "cool" or "excellent" or "sweet" or "alright" etc. why are they going to use a different one instead?).

Slang does get worn out, and you can try and be the one to be there when it happens (near as I can tell Austin Powers is more or less responsible for the word frickin, Family Guy is responsible for bringing sweet back from the edge of death), but you'd probably be better off concentrating your time, money and energy into more proven methods of success.

When you try and get people to take on a word you run the risk of looking like that 40yo teacher you had in school who was always younger than the others, going through a bit of a mid-life crisis, and wanted to be 'just one of the kids'... you know, the one who thought he was cool but was actually the most annoying of all your teachers? Man, if he'd just been himself he actually wasn't that bad, but his idea of cool just didn't fit.

...that's what businesses look like to me when they try and engage in "guerilla marketing" and similar practices. I don't think I'm alone in this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I checked out the site and at first I could not identify with "Chuggy Brand."

Then i saw that one of your shirt descriptions had something to do with two fisting it, and that another one looked like silhouettes of a kegstand in action.

That's when I was able to immediately identify with your shirts. :) I can also appreciate a "good enough" slogan with shirts marketed toward a beer drinking demographic because when you're chugging beers, nothing else really matters all that much.

All in all, I like your site and your angle is refreshing. I think that you'll definitely be able to "reach" your target market with your designs and brand name. You just need to get your name out on the college circuit and you'll be set, IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW!

I have to say that signing up for this site was the best move I have made! Everyone here has been very helpful. In my opinion the advice given may very well help us turn a corner. I am throwing a few ideas around right now:

Chuggy was founded on laziness, so its matching slogan of "...its good enough" will be around as long as chuggy is. That doesnt mean that we cannot use other slogans to accompany it. I think this is a great idea as a way of getting to the real roots of what chuggy is. I'm thinking of a campaign that holds the word chuggy as somewhat of a mystery, and gets people to the site to find out what it is. IE: Banners that have a college student passed out with marker all over his/her face with the word "chuggy?" written on it. This link would direct you to a page with some product shots, but more importantly a definition of what chuggy is. To answer some questions about definintion; chuggy is what you want/need it to be at the time. I founded this company as a somewhat sarcastic reaction to very well dressed people. I was calling them chuggies, as a derogatory term. So then the Chuggy shirt came to pass. Since then it has evolved into a word that can describe feelings (when said with the right inflection you could be happy, content, or angry), looks, tastes, etc.

I completely understand everyones thoughts and it somewhat answers the question to our low sales. Our goal for this year is to end by selling shirts to 1% off all people to our site. We are beating that goal now, but friends and family can only buy so many shirts. I think the fact that they allready understand what chuggy means is why they are buying, and this would also explain why we have not gotten an order from someone we dont know.

Let me know what you think a the "chuggy?" campaign, and also check out the "meet chuggy" link http://www.chuggybrand.com/about_us.php?osCsid=8eb88df51c3afa172d99bd77e4f7f8a0 to see who chuggy is.

cheers

~chuggy
www.chuggybrand.com

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I'm thinking of a campaign that holds the word chuggy as somewhat of a mystery, and gets people to the site to find out what it is. IE: Banners that have a college student passed out with marker all over his/her face with the word "chuggy?" written on it. This link would direct you to a page with some product shots, but more importantly a definition of what chuggy is.
I think it a definite step in the right direction. As long as you have the definition and direction clear, you can help explain it and demonstrate it to customers.

I think that type campaign could get people interested in your product and brand.

The point is, it is next to impossible to get people to use a word you want them to for commercial reasons. Slang either devolves out of natural language, or new words are coined to fill gaps in our vocabulary. If you want to ride that as a business, you're probably better off finding a fledgling new word and registering the domain/trademark/etc. for it before it has completely taken off (or taking a pre-existing language and convincing people it's cool
I also think that a non-commercial start (blog, etc), can get people talking about chuggy and using it as slang. I'm positive it can be done if done right :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
chuggy said:
Our slogan of its good enough simply impies that you shouldnt need a reason, except that its a good lookin shirt what more do you need? If anyone here has a good answer to that I am all ears.The cool part about chuggy brand is the fact that it can mean anything that you want. I'd love some added suggestions.
I could wear an all white tee, so why should I buy yours? Plus you said it could mean anything, but you seem to imply that it has something to do with chugging beer. I don't chug, so I see no reason to want a shirt from you. Now are you trying to sell to beer drinkers? If so, it might work just fine. If you want anyone else to buy, you might want to take the kegs off the site and try something that would imply the meaning of anything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts